Sunday, June 26, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 881: The Eagles

I had a good streak of luck at the CD store yesterday, even if I may have overdone it. Last night Sheila and I played games and listened to all of them. I’ll review them when I randomly roll them, but here’s a teaser:
·         A box set of Patti Smith’s first five albums (I already had two of them, but I am seriously digging Patti Smith right now, and couldn’t pass up the deal).
·         Tom Petty – “She’s the One” (solid record that completes my Tom Petty collection).
·         Hayes Carll – “Lovers and Leavers” - this is an awesome record.
·         Green River – “Dry as a Bone/Rehab Doll” – the precursor to Pearl Jam is the foundation of grunge.
·          Sturgill Simpson – “A Sailor’s Guide to Earth” – Nashville will never accept Sturgill as long as he keeps making music as interesting as this. Good for him.
·         Bonnie Prince Billy – “Superwolf” – one of two remaining BPB albums I was on the hunt for. Too quiet to appreciate over a games night, but I have high hopes.

Now on to the music review!

Disc 881 is….Hotel California
Artist: The Eagles

Year of Release: 1976

What’s up with the Cover? Welcome to the iconic Hotel California. As you can see from the antennae, we have Wi-Fi.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve known this album since it came out and my brother bought it. I have had the vinyl edition for years, but I bought the CD when our friend Gord was selling his CD collection.

How It Stacks Up:  This is the only Eagles album I own, so it doesn’t really stack up.

Ratings: 4 stars, but just barely

I have more Don Henley albums than Eagles albums, which I guess shows I’m not a huge Eagles fan. If you were to only have one Eagles album, though, “Hotel California” is the one to have.

This record is widely regarded as one of rock’s great classics. I would amend that statement by saying it is an album that has some of rock’s great classic songs, but as an album it is pretty uneven.

O, but those classics are such classics, aren’t they? The title track is a five star song about the excesses of rock and roll. Has any other song been as talked about as “Hotel California”? How about a song that is over six minutes long and still gets regular radio play? Maybe “Stairway to Heaven” but that’s about it.

And there’s a good reason for this; “Hotel California” is a perfect song. From the unmistakable and haunting guitar intro, to the easy groove of the drums this song makes no missteps. Henley’s vocals (and lyrics) put the unease into the otherwise dreamy sound, creating a dissonance that never gets tired, despite hundreds of repeat listens.

Side One continues on a good run from here, with “New Kid In Town” and “Life In the Fast Lane.” “Life In the Fast Lane” has one of rock’s great guitar riffs, and a reckless energy that perfectly matches the out-of-control couple it depicts. “New Kid In Town” is a perfect depiction of what it is like to be the new kid:

“There's talk on the street; it sounds so familiar
Great expectations, everybody's watching you
People you meet, they all seem to know you
Even your old friends treat you like you're something new”

It also marks the rare occasion of me saying anything nice about Glenn Frey (who co-wrote it and sings lead). What have I got against Glenn Frey? Plenty. His solo career is so risible that he is a founding member of a mythical group I invented called Def Gorf. Other members of Def Gorf are: Art Garfunkel, John Oates, Andrew Ridgley and Def Leppard’s drummer. Not exactly a super group.

But I digress…

Back to the record which after a strong start loses a lot of its energy and direction. “Wasted Time” meanders all over the place, but never achieves the high emotion that Henley is so desperate to infuse into it.

However, not content with one song called “Wasted Time” the band decides to start Side Two of the record with “Wasted Time (reprise).” You wasted enough time on this song the first time around, guys.

Victim of Love” has another great guitar riff to help bolster Side Two, but the chorus strips a lot of the energy out of the song.

Joe Walsh then steps in to take his turn at dragging the record down, with the meandering and schmaltzy “Pretty Maids All In a Row.” “Try and Love Again” is a good song, but it made me think of that pop/country crossover sound in mainstream country music that has been so terrible in the years that followed.

The album ends with “The Last Resort,” a slow moving narrative that sounds like what Don Henley would go on to do in his solo career. Unlike a lot of people, I like a lot of Henley’s solo career, particularly when he sounds like this – all sad and full of regret. “The Last Resort” isn’t a great song (and at 7:27 it goes on way too long) but it is a guilty pleasure.

The great songs on “Hotel California” are enough to just barely pull this record into 4 star territory but heretical as it may sound, I don’t think this is one of the greatest records of all time. I’ve just heard too many that are better.

Best tracks:  Hotel California, New Kid In Town, Life in the Fast Lane, The Last Resort

No comments: