Saturday, February 15, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 593: The Beatles

After a fun night partying with friends, I slept in and then had a lovely lunch with Sheila.  It’s been a pretty nice, laid back Saturday so far.

Disc 593 is….Self-Titled (aka The White Album)
Artist: The Beatles

Year of Release: 1968

What’s up with the Cover? Well, it is known as “The White Album’.

How I Came To Know It: Sheila is a Beatles fan.  I believe she bought this album shortly after we met, as she was filling out her Beatles collection at that time.

How It Stacks Up:  We have seven Beatles albums, mostly encompassing the latter half of their career.  Of the seven, I’d put “The White Album” second only to “Abbey Road” (reviewed back at Disc 441).

Rating:  4 stars

Lennon and McCartney can practically compose a pretty melody in their sleep, but it is beyond even them to put 30 of them on a double album and expect them all to be great songs.  And so we are left with the self-titled “White Album”; two–thirds brilliance and one-third overwrought, self-referential filler.

Fortunately, the parts of this record that are good are exceptionally good.  While I don’t love every one of the so-called ‘classics’ on the record, even those that don’t appeal (“Back in the USSR”, “Revolution 1”) I still admire them as well written songs worthy of someone’s love.

I think of the Beatles principally as a pop act, but “The White Album” is much more on the rock side of the ledger.  Harrison’s guitar is crunchier than usual and a lot of the tracks have an edge to them. That edge is still wrapped up in a pop package, but I actually like how the styles cross over and play against one another.

Helter Skelter” is a classic rock song, and while Paul’s naturally pure voice is a bit light on growl, he pulls it off.  “Happiness is a Warm Gun” and “Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey” are both energetic and very interesting in construction.  I love the guitar riff that launches the latter of the two.

On that note, Harrison’s playing on “The White Album” throughout is some of his best work.  He is given license to range a bit more, and for the most part the band doesn’t drown him out in over-production as can happen on some of their other later records.  He rewards the freedom with one of the Beatles all –time classics, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” a very un-Beatles type song that would be equally at home on a Cream album.

I’m not sure what the hell a lot of these songs are about – like who the hell is Bungalow Bill, and how does Rocky Raccoon either a) read the bible or b) handle a gun without opposable thumbs? – but it didn’t prevent me from enjoying the songs.  If anything, it just made them feel more whimsical, and let me concentrate on the music instead, which is excellent. Given that Rocky Raccoon finds religion in the end, he should meet up with Sir Rastus Bear from the Blue Oyster Cult song “Redeemed” – now that would be a Disney movie worth watching.

In addition to “Happiness is a Warm Gun” and that excessively titled song about the monkey referenced earlier, “Blackbird” is one of my favourite songs on the album.  I’m not sure you could write a more perfect melody than this, and listening to it brings a calm to my spirit that actual black birds have never managed (my experience with black birds is principally crows and ravens, neither of which are particularly pretty vocalists).

For all the great songs on the record, there are times when the boys get overstuffed with their own cleverness.  “Piggies” thematically belongs on lesser records like “Magical Mystery Tour.” “Glass Onion” has a series of references to earlier songs, including “Strawberry Fields” and “I Am the Walrus” that seems to operate on the premise that I will get a thrill hearing about the Beatles talking about themselves.  Actually boys, I don’t give a crap that “the walrus was Paul.”

The culmination of the auditory masturbation is “Revolution 9” which is almost nine minutes of strange sounds, snippets of dialogue, all stitched together in the name of art – I think that was the intent.  The song (I use the term loosely here) has contributions from Yoko Ono, and it would be more at home on one of her albums, which is a polite way to say it sucks.

Fortunately, the brilliance of the five star tracks on “The White Album” eclipse any damage that can be done by the occasional misfire, and hold this record strongly in four star territory, warts and all.

Best tracks: Dear Prudence, Ob-La-Di Ob-La Da, The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I’m So Tired, Blackbird, Rocky Raccoon, I Will, Birthday, Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey, Helter Skelter, 

No comments: