Wednesday, September 30, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 787: Lindi Ortega

This next album was rolled randomly before I had a chance to give it a good three listens (I’m a bit behind on grokking the new music in my collection). As a result I took some extra time and made sure I gave it multiple rotations before writing the review.

Disc 787 is….Faded Gloryville
Artist: Lindi Ortega

Year of Release: 2015

What’s up with the Cover? Lindi is looking very Victorian Gothic on this cover and yes I like it. If this is how beautiful she is in Faded Gloryville I’d hate to see her in Full-Bloom Gloryville; my heart couldn’t take it.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve been a fan of Lindi Ortega since her second album, 2012’s “Cigarettes and Truckstops.” I like her so much I buy her new releases before I even hear a song. That was the case earlier this year with “Faded Gloryville”.

How It Stacks Up: I now have four Lindi Ortega albums. If I had to be picky (and that is what this section is about) I’m going to put this one fourth. It is slightly faded compared to her previous records, but still full of glory.

Ratings: 3 stars

I really wanted to go support Lindi Ortega on her tour of this album, but unfortunately she was the opening act for Paul Brandt and I couldn’t stand the thought of watching her get shouldered off the stage after only five songs to be replaced by a lesser talent. Sorry, Paul.

The lack of commercial success for Ortega weighs on all her previous records and this, her fourth full length LP, is no exception. “Faded Gloryville’s” entry in Ortega’s “why aren’t I famous?” cannon is the self-titled track. She sings this subject from the heart, and this is one of her better songs on the topic.

Faded Gloryville” his is a sad track about the soul-sucking experience that the music industry can be. Ortega sings (and talks) about this topic so much that it can get a bit tiresome, but this is such a perfect dirge on the topic I once again found myself forgiving her the wallow.

Ortega’s latest album is not as obsessed with the topic, and after getting it out of her system she spends most of the rest of the album chasing various facets of damaged or broken relationships.

Ashes” opens the album with a catchy bass line and a classic theme of love’s collapse from fire to ash. This song approaches being a bit too slick, but Ortega’s delivery pulls it back from the brink, with a breathy voice that speaks of both adolescent loss and seasoned heartbreak.

Speaking of lost love, Ortega also does an inspired remake of the Bee Gee’s “To Love Somebody,” once again grounded with a kick-ass bass line (thank you bassist John Dymond). Ortega reminded me how much I loved this song while transforming it from a lovelorn complaint to a 3 a.m. ill-advised drunken booty call.

An early favourite on the album is “Run-Down Neighbourhood,” a song that has Ortega’s signature grit, and is exactly the kind of grimy subject matter that makes the prudes of Nashville unsure of her (never change for them, Lindi!). The song is about two questionably lovable people who aren’t great role models, but think they’re great for each other

“Well you can have some of my weed
If I can smoke your cigarette
I might be running low but I ain’t out just yet
I will be Tweedledee if you be Tweedledum
You can drink all of my whiskey, baby
And I will drink all of your rum.”

Lindi captures the gusto for aimless alcoholism and drug abuse not heard since Gene Simmons advised his girl that it was cold gin time…again.

Having caught my attention, Lindi plays with my heart by telling me on “I Ain’t the Girl” that she’s not the girl for me. It is all very confusing, since she admits she’s got a thing for long haired guys (check!) that are rugged with tattoos (check again! Well – the tattoo part, anyway). Sadly I wear a suit and tie to work, and don’t drive a rusty truck so I’m back to zero by the end of the first verse. I can’t help but think this song was written about all the men in her audience that stare at her starry-eyed from the floor.

Not all the tracks are as memorable, and I find when she relies on standard blues beats the songs don’t have the same oomph. “Tell it Like It Is” and “When You Ain’t Home” are original songs but they don’t feel new or interesting. It isn’t Lindi’s vocals or lyrics in either case, but rather some unimaginative blues riffs that feel at odds with the more interesting phrasing Lindi wants to draw them toward.

In terms of branching out, I like Ortega’s rockabilly effort with “Run Amuck” which has a great swing and better employs her alternative rock vibe. This section had me thinking of the country version of Imelda May and I liked it. Lindi Ortega and Imelda May would make for one hell of a double bill – forget Paul Brandt!

Best tracks:  Ashes, Faded Gloryville, To Love Somebody, Run-Down Neighbourhood, I Ain’t the Girl

No comments: