Saturday, September 19, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 783: Dio

After what felt like forever, the weekend has arrived. My weekend’s only scheduled events were cancelled but I’m just as happy to have a quiet couple of days with Sheila. My social calendar can get a bit crazy, and on those weekends when I have nothing planned at all, I appreciate the rest.

Disc 783 is….Sacred Heart
Artist: Dio

Year of Release: 1985

What’s up with the Cover? Just another kick ass metal album cover. Here we have some wizened hands holding a crystal ball that is obviously predicting a dragon attack. Or maybe it is the dragon in human form seeing its true self reflected in the crystal ball. Either way, my inner fifteen year old shouted “fuck yeah!” when I saw it.

How I Came To Know It: I was a big Dio fan as a kid – I probably liked Dio more than Black Sabbath in the day. When my brother bought this album I borrowed it off him and taped a bunch of favourites. As a result I know half the album way better than the other half. As for the CD, I had a hard time finding it until it showed up about five years ago at a local record store. Naturally, I snapped it up.

How It Stacks Up: I have Dio’s first three albums. I’m not a big fan of his later work, so this may be it for me. Of the three, and I’ll put “Sacred Heart” second, or smack dab in the middle. Since this is the last Dio review in my collection, here they are ranked:

  1. Holy Diver: 4 stars (reviewed back at Disc 68)
  2. Sacred Heart: 3 stars (reviewed right here)
  3. The Last in Line: 3 stars (reviewed back at Disc 430)
Ratings: 3 stars

“Sacred Heart” is Ronnie James Dio’s last great album. As usual, after I listened to it I was inspired to go on Youtube and check out “Dream Evil” and “Lock Up the Wolves” but they just aren’t at the same level as his first three records.

“Sacred Heart” doesn’t start in inspiring fashion, with a loose and slightly sloppy live version of “King of Rock and Roll” but after that it really picks up steam. The title track is a six and a half minute epic filled with classic Dio mythology of dragon slaying and magic quests. It would make for a shitty fantasy movie, but it makes for a great metal song. Dio’s incredible vocals carry the song, as they do for all the songs on the record.

The album also benefits throughout from drummer Vinnie Appice, who left Black Sabbath with Dio and appears on most of his solo work. Appice’s drumming is precise and hard as hell and grounds these songs with a heaviness that is needed to offset all the soaring melodies. The drums on “Like the Beat of Heart” are particularly monstrous, and make the song grimy and dirty, like an early Judas Priest track.


Most of the songs I loved as a kid were the ones featuring some kind of fantasy theme, and those songs remain favourites, but I can better appreciate the other tracks now than when I was a teenager. “Another Lie” and “Rock n’ Roll Children” are both better than I remember them. Both are songs about love gone wrong in some way, either through internal or external forces. In Dio’s hands they become wild romances. If these songs were books, they’d be bodice-rippers with racy covers. “Rock n’ Roll Children” even starts with some organ chords that would be equally at home on a Meatloaf record.

Hungry for Heaven” also features flourishes of organ that had me thinking of Dio’s earlier work in bands like Rainbow, and it is definitely a lighter sound than the heavier metal on his previous album, “Last in Line.” Despite a pretty sweet metal solo from guitarist (Mr.) Vivian Campbell this song’s schmaltz might’ve rubbed some metal fans the wrong way back in 1985, but I liked it then, and I like it now.

Things get heavy again before the end with the aforementioned “Like the Beat of a Heart” which is one of the record’s standouts. Pounding drums and grinding guitar and some of Dio’s classic bat-shit crazy lyrics:

"Don't look behind 'cause a tear that never dies can only make you blind
You've got to try 'cause the future's never never gonna die
There's a beast that lives inside you and it's screaming to get out
It's a storm that's never ending it's a truth without a doubt."

A tear that never dies can only make you blind? Sounds like something your grandmother would tell you to get you to stop crying after she watched your best Battlestar Galactica t-shirt by hand and wrecked the decal. Yeah that happened. Rest in peace, grandma – it was just a shirt. But I digress…

What’s important is Dio (who, incidentally, also had an Italian grandma) is able to make the arcane and illogical seem profound. When you hear him sing this stuff you’re absolutely convinced it is a truth without a doubt. It’s only later that you find yourself wondering “what the hell?”

The album ends on a down note, with “Shoot Shoot” a song with a confused and meandering melody. The lyrics seem to suggest that if someone points a gun at you that you should encourage them to go ahead and shoot. I’m pretty sure this is bad advice.

Despite a weak opening and closing song, “Sacred Heart” overall is a tight little metal record, clocking in at a restrained nine tracks and 38 minutes. Long time readers will know that I highly value this kind of compact record; it lets you grok it a lot easier, and lets each individual song shine just a little brighter.

Best tracks:   Sacred Heart, Rock n’ Roll Children, Hungry for Heaven, Like the Beat of a Heart

No comments: