Saturday, September 26, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 785: The Who

When I was five my mom sat me down and told me that life was unfair, and the sooner I understood that the better. A harsh lesson for a five year old for sure, but it has served me well over the years.

This week I encountered an unfairness so profound that all my mother’s wisdom felt suddenly small and useless. I’m not going to talk about it beyond that, because you’ve come here to read a music review not a rant. So here you go.

Disc 785 is….Tommy
Artist: The Who

Year of Release: 1969

What’s up with the Cover? Look deep into my seagulls…Deeper…You are feeling very three dimensional. I always liked this cover, but I’ve never figured out what, if any, significance it has. It just looks kind of cool.

How I Came To Know It: My brother owned this on vinyl but rarely played it. One year for Christmas I wrapped up a satin flag of one of his favourite bands (Venom) inside the album so he thought he was getting “Tommy” again. He looked so sad, but after the joke was realized was happy with the Venom flag. The next year he took vengeance on me by wrapping my present so tightly it took me fifteen minutes to get into it.

As for the Tommy album, I got that on vinyl as a hand-me-down and years later I ended up buying it on CD…and here we are.

How It Stacks Up: I have three of The Who’s studio albums. In any normal trio of albums “Tommy” would easily be first, but not when you’ve got a classic like “Who’s Next” dominating top spot. As a result “Tommy can only manage second place. And since I’ve reviewed all three of them, here’s a recap:

  1. Who’s Next: 5 stars (reviewed back at Disc 204)
  2. Tommy: 5 stars (reviewed right here)
  3. Odds & Sods: 3 stars (reviewed back at Disc 170)
Ratings: 5 stars

Pete Townshend is a musical genius, and “Tommy” is an album that shows what a musical genius is capable of when his band is wise enough to let him do his thing.

Sure, The Who is not The Who without Roger Daltry’s vocals, the drumming of Keith Moon and John Entwistle on bass (one of the reasons I have no interest in seeing them in concert since Moon and Entwistle are both now dead).

But it is Pete Townshend that drives the creative engine of “Tommy.” “Tommy” is a concept album about a deaf, dumb and blind kid who is abused by trusted family members, grows up to find fame for being an amazing pinball player, eventually gets his sight back and becomes some kind of modern messiah. Townshend delivers the whole story as a ‘rock opera.’ Outside of Alexander Pope creating the mock epic with “Rape of the Lock” you would have a hard time finding a more brilliant reimagining of a traditional art form.

Musically, the record is nuanced but powerful. Townsend’s chord choices are clever and perfectly suited to each section of the story, often making subtle changes to the voicing of his guitar for maximum emotional impact.

Just listening to the overture is enough to know how great the music is. Overtures introduce all of a musical’s themes and in just over five minutes the overture of “Tommy” switches gears about 15 times. Every shift sounds amazing.

Although “Tommy” is best heard all at once, there are still many standout songs that are great even on their own. “1921” has a light and optimistic feel, fueled by Daltry’s standout vocals, with an undercurrent of menace of the dark days to come for the main character. “The Acid Queen” and “Pinball Wizard” are both hard rock classics, and the album’s final song “We’re Not Gonna Take It” has a bit of everything and despite being seven minutes long, leaves you wanting more, not less.

Thematically, “Tommy” is a cycle of abuse that “A Clockwork Orange” would be proud of. Tommy is beaten, drugged and abused by a litany of family members, shysters and quacks but once his pinball skills make him a celebrity, his “holiday camp” feels like a giant cult where starry-eyed fans are taken advantage of in turn.

Pete Townshend’s music is always best when he is exorcising some of his many demons (think “Behind Blue Eyes” from “Who’s Next”) and his tortured artistry forges “Tommy” into a modern day masterpiece.

The only time “Tommy” last my interest was during the meandering 10 minute underture in the middle of the album, but even that meandering had purpose and provided a reflection of the album’s musical themes – kind of like the reflection Tommy himself is obsessed with staring at with his blind eyes.

“Tommy” isn’t the kind of album you put on every day. Like “The Wall” it takes a dedicated listen from start to finish to appreciate it. But just because I don’t play it every day doesn’t mean it isn’t one of rock and roll’s great accomplishments. Five stars.


Best tracks:   1921, Christmas, The Acid Queen, Pinball Wizard, Sally Simpson, We’re Not Gonna Take It

No comments: