Sunday, September 6, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 779: Capercaillie

Happy long weekend! I spent my first day off getting my tattoo sleeve completed. After three sessions over four months I am glad to be done, and I’m feeling a little badass, truth be told.

What is not as much fun is getting your elbow ditch tattooed and being unable to fully bend your arm. I had no appreciation for how often I rely on my dominant hand to fetch things and bring them to the vicinity of  my head (shampoo, toothpaste, food) until I had to use my off hand to do it. Is this what life is like for right handed people all the time?

On to the music – it took me a while to write this one. I was enjoying listening to the album so much I delayed the review.

Disc 779 is….Secret People
Artist: Capercaillie

Year of Release: 1993

What’s up with the Cover? I have no idea. Is it a mike stand? A Celtic artifact? A cinnamon bun? This cover is confusing and – even worse – unappealing. Next time just put the band standing there posing awkwardly in outdated fashions. It’s folk tradition!

How I Came To Know It: I was already a fan of Capercaillie from their previous three records. I didn’t have much money in 1993, but I found enough to buy this album when it came out.

How It Stacks Up: I have a hard time stacking up Capercaillie albums; I like each of them for different reasons. However they stack up, “Secret People” is one of the better ones. I’ll put it second or third out of the nine albums I have.

Ratings: 4 stars

Capercaillie is the gold standard I hold my Celtic folk music against, and “Secret People” is one of the reasons why.

Not content with the minor forays into a more modern sound they started on 1991’s “Delirium,” “Secret People” takes a few risks with both their sound and their fans, and it pays off at every turn.

The core of the band’s sound remains, anchored melodically by the angelic voice of Karen Matheson and the unmatched brilliance of Charlie McKerron’s fiddle.

Yes, I said unmatched. You can pick whatever fiddle player you like, but for my money there is none better than McKerron. He hits the instrument with a power that makes you think the bow is going to saw right through the neck, yet despite being both fast and furious he delivers emotional energy and precision at every turn.

Sometimes he is just a flourish to the overall experience, like the hook he plays to start off “Four Stone Walls” and other times he just takes the whole song over as he does on “The Whinney Hills Jigs.”

Matheson is vocally his equal – the greatest voice I’ve heard in folk music, and as good as anything you hear elsewhere. Some women folk singers have a sing-song quality that masks a lack of power throughout their vocal range. Not Matheson, who soars through every note low and high, dominating soft and soulful songs like “Oran” and “An Eala Ban” with the same grace that she hits the up-tempo demands of songs like “Hi Rim Bo” and “Black Fields.”

Alone, McKerron or Matheson could carry a whole band on their shoulders, but combined they are a music miracle.

On “Secret People” Capercaillie branches out and adds rock and world elements to their music. “Seice Ruaridh (Roddy’s Drum)” is a masterclass of vocal precision from Matheson starting at a measured pace and shifting gears up into the realm of the ridiculous. Two-thirds of the way through, Capercaillie adds in electric guitar. It has no business working but it is done so perfectly, and within the context of the song’s development that it is a perfect fit. “Roddy’s Drum” consistently gets me thrashing my head around to the sheer energy of it all as much as any metal song ever has.

Lyrically, half of the songs are in Gaelic. I don’t speak a word of it but it doesn’t matter. Matheson’s delivery tells you everything you need to know about the song’s emotional intent.

The songs in English are equally good. Despite a slight taint of nineties production, “Stinging Rain” is a song that is both sad and defiant. It isn’t totally clear what it is about (I suspect spousal abuse) but it doesn’t matter. When Matheson sings:

“If you think you can hold me down I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words, I’ll sing forever”

All you really need to know is that no one is going to defeat her spirit, however they’re trying to manage it.

I’ve owned “Secret People” for over twenty years and I still put it on every chance I get (which is less than I like, since Sheila doesn’t like Capercaillie). I’ve listened to a lot of folk music, and I haven’t found many albums I like better.


Best tracks:   Four Stone Walls, The Whinney Hills Jigs, An Eala Ban (the White Swan), Seice Ruaridh (Roddy’s Drum), Stinging Rain, Oran, Black Fields

No comments: