Wednesday, September 9, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 780: Blue Oyster Cult

I’ve just wrapped up the official start of the NFL season with a fantasy football draft. I think I did OK, by which I mean I got to draft three Miami Dolphins. I also named my fantasy team after this next album.

Disc 780 is….Club Ninja
Artist: Blue Oyster Cult

Year of Release: 1986

What’s up with the Cover? A whole lot of awesome. This reminds me of the cover to ELO’s “Out of the Blue” (reviewed way back at Disc 266) if that cover totally kicked ass. But the awesomeness of this cover pales in comparison to the awesomeness of Side Two:
 
Behold – a space ninja with a throwing star shaped like the BOC symbol. This guy and the guy from the cover of my Rare Air album should go on space adventures together. First stop – the international space station/party room known as…Club Ninja!

How I Came To Know It: I have been a fan of Blue Oyster Cult since my brother indoctrinated me at the tender age of five. Club Ninja may not be their best record, but it came out when I was 16, which is a pretty important age for enjoying rock n’ roll.

How It Stacks Up: I have 11 of Blue Oyster Cult’s studio albums and “Club Ninja” comes in at…11. Yes – it goes to 11!

Ratings: 3 stars

For many Blue Oyster Cult fans, “Club Ninja” is a reviled album, and not worthy of the band’s talents but damn it, I still enjoyed it.

In 1986 a kid in my high school that I didn’t like very much (for no good reason) came up to me excited about hearing the single “Dancing in the Ruins.” I downplayed my interest in favour of ‘cooler’ Blue Oyster Cult albums. At the time I was just being a dipshit, intent on proving I was the bigger fan. I regret that a lot to this day. I wish I’d used his interest to draw him toward the rest of Blue Oyster Cult’s music. Or maybe I could have just enjoyed this one album along with him, instead of being obsessed with how it wasn’t as good as the rest of their catalogue. So what if is a weaker album? I liked it then and I like it now.

Sure it is the worst of my eleven Blue Oyster Cult albums, and there are plenty of reasons why. First, it is missing two key parts of the band. Drummer Albert Bouchard and keyboardist Allen Lanier are both gone and with them a ton of the band’s writing talent. Sure the heart and soul of the band are still there with Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom, but Blue Oyster Cult has always been a collaborative band, and without A. Bouchard and Lanier the writing and creative vision both suffer.

The production on this record is also atrocious. On CD it sounds like it was recorded in one of those metal crates you stack on cargo ships, tinny and unimaginative. Vinyl is only slightly better. The band descends fully into synth rock, with light drums and a lot of ambience replacing the strange and arcane power they are usually famous for.

The production is particularly unkind to Eric Bloom’s throaty bar-room delivery, which gets swallowed up a bit by the songs. Songs that are supposed to be tough and meaty like “Beat ‘Em Up” and “Make Rock Not War” don’t have the weight they need to be taken seriously. I loved both these songs when I was 16. Now they are a bit silly, with lyrics like:

“Some people got a bad attitude
And I say if they want to get tough
Beat ‘em up!”

OK, I still like them, I just realize they are silly now. There’s nothing wrong with a little silly in our lives. Another favourite “so bad it is good” line is this one from “Madness to the Method”:

“It’s a hormone warzone
Boys are out for a fight
Wenches in the trenches
On a Saturday night.”

If loving this stuff is wrong – and I’m pretty sure it is – I don’t want to be right.

Not even Buck Dharma’s prodigious genius can fully pull the record out of this artificial muck, but holy crap does he come close. For one thing, while this lighter sound drowns out Eric Bloom’s bluesy voice, it actually suits Buck Dharma’s higher crooner voice well. Buck sings five of the nine songs, all of which climb above the messy production to varying degrees.

And nothing can hold back Dharma’s guitar. His solo work on “Perfect Water” and “Spy in the House of the Night” are intense, developing quickly and then gracefully resolving naturally back into the song early enough to leave you wanting more.

The strangeness Blue Oyster Cult’s rock is known for is stripped away a fair bit, but it shines through when it needs to, particularly on the more odd numbers like “Perfect Water” “When the War Comes” and “Shadow Warrior.”

Perfect Water” will have you wishing you could grow back your gills and return to the sea like some modern day resident of Lovecraft’s Innsmouth. The song even references Jacques Cousteau, who I am pretty sure was a Deep One.

Shadow Warrior” is about frickin’ ninjas! I needn’t remind you that this album came out in 1986 when ninjas were everywhere. Ninjas may no longer be a fad but damn it, they are still pretty cool.

The album begins with two fairly straightforward rock songs, “White Flags” and “Dancin’ in the Ruins” which are tame in song structure by Blue Oyster Cult fans, but still good tracks. “Dancin’ in the Ruins” even broke the top ten (how my high school colleague would have heard it, no doubt). “White Flags” is kind of sexy, with its half-closed eyes as metaphors for the white flags of surrender.

Should you start your BOC collection with “Club Ninja”? No, don’t do that. However if someone else does it try not to be a dick. Just congratulate them on the album’s good moments and then gently suggest “Fire of Unknown Origin” or “Secret Treaties” might also be to their liking.


Best tracks:   White Flags, Perfect Water, Shadow Warrior 

No comments: