Wednesday, July 25, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 421: Elvis Costello

A good bathroom book should be episodic in nature for obvious reasons, and my current selection is no exception. “This is Uncool: The 500 Greatest Singles since Punk and Disco” by Garry Mulholland is a musical trip down memory lane from 1976 – 2001. Mulholland is writing about singles, not albums, and I find myself disagreeing with his choices as often as I’m with him, but he’s given me a lot of good ideas on how to write a better review. Thanks, Garry!

I’m currently only up to 1981, and my next album is by an artist that Mulholland has already featured regularly.

Disc 421 is…The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions
Artist: Elvis Costello

Year of Release: 1994 but music from 1977-1986

What’s up with the Cover?  A black and white head shot of Elvis Costello.  It is inoffensive enough, but hardly imaginative.

How I Came To Know It: This is one of Sheila’s discs.  I had heard of Elvis Costello before I met her, but she is the first person to properly introduce me to some of his music, and this compilation was my first real exposure.

How It Stacks Up:  Frequent readers will know this, but for those just arriving on my scene, ‘best of’ albums don’t stack up.  They’re not real albums; they’re compilations, and so they don’t rate being formally rated.

Rating:  N/A.  As above, you can’t rate a ‘best of’ as an album.  It just doesn’t make sense.  I guess I could judge it against other compilations, but that’s not how I roll.  I roll randomly.

When I rolled this album randomly I proudly announced, “I’m planning to praise the music, but savage Costello himself.”  At the time it seemed like a good bit of fun, given how much of a critical darling Costello is, both in his own mind and without.

My plan was blunted a bit by the fact that I already gave Costello the gears back when I reviewed the Juliet Letters at Disc 114 where he desperately deserved it.  It is a lot harder to savage the guy for his earlier work from 1977-1986, particularly the first six of those years, which produced some pretty amazing tracks.

Costello has a lot of musical influences, and in various tracks you’ll hear punk, reggae, ska and country (in fact, “Good Year for the Roses” is from an entire album of old school country covers).  Whatever style he is drawing inspiration from, Costello blends it with his own unique up-tempo syncopation pop and mostly makes it work.

As readers will know, I am not a fan of the ‘best of’ record, but this one is tastefully handled.  At twenty-two tracks it could easily be too long, but Costello tends to write very short little pop songs, and each one is different enough that you don’t start to feel overburdened until around “Shipbuilding” at Track 18, and to be fair that’s only because the last few songs are a lot weaker, coming after Costello’s golden age.

I was also appreciative that the record is put together chronologically allowing a relative neophyte like me to have a sampling through Costello’s evolving sound.  Since he is an artist that changes a lot over the years, this was really helpful to me in keeping my ear tuned to his sound, even if it were a fairly quick journey.

It also helped me really appreciate why he was such a critical darling early in his career.  Costello delivers exceptional emotional range.  “Alison” is a classic song for the lovelorn wishing for a love that will never flower, and at the other end “Good Year for the Roses” is an almost equal expression of the wheels coming off a relationship sputtering to a tragic end.

At the same time as he’s delivering thoughtful love songs, Costello equally masters political commentary with “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” and “Clubland,” the latter of which captures the vacuous world of clubbing, featuring youth who feel the future is so bleak that all they have left is to drink, drug and dance their way into oblivion.  As the song so succinctly ends:

“Some things come in common these days
Your hands and work aren't steady.”

All these songs could be released today and be huge hits, but I can only assume they were before their time, because a quick look at the ever-infallible Wikipedia shows that his best chart position for this period (even in his home U.K.) was #2 with the fairly forgettable “Oliver’s Army” and he mostly struggled to crack top forty.  In the U.S. and Canada it was even worse.  No wonder he was driven to write the scathing “Radio Radio” with lyrics like:

“You either shut up or get cut up, they don't wanna hear about it
It's only inches on the reel-to-reel
And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools
Tryin' to anaesthetise the way that you feel.”

I also hate the radio, so lines like this really appeal to me, and it is a fine little pop song to boot.  Don’t feel bad, Elvis – not getting radio play usually means you’re doing something right.

I am not overwhelmed emotionally by Elvis Costello, but this record was – as advertised – a good sampling of his best work, and on this listen I found a deeper appreciation for his skill as a songwriter.  His delivery doesn’t always agree with me, but is suits the sound he’s trying to create, so I’ll even give him a pass on that.  “The Juliet Letters” left a very bad taste in my mouth, and it was nice to hear a different, better side of Elvis Costello.  I doubt I’ll be running out to buy his studio albums, but I will be pulling this ‘best of’ off the shelf a little more often in future.

Best tracks:  Alison, (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea, Pump It Up, Radio Radio, (What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace Love and Understanding, Clubland, Watch Your Step, A Good Year for the Roses, Beyond Belief, Everyday I Write the Book.

No comments: