Wednesday, July 18, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 419: Capercaillie


It has been a busy day of work, errands, and volunteer activities, all on very little sleep.  In all the recent excitement on these fronts I’ve missed four workouts in the past two weeks as well, and that’s not sitting well with me either.

That said I’m finally sitting where I want to be – in the writer’s chair.  It may not be the next chapter of my novel, but it is writing for pleasure about a topic I love, music.  And today’s sub-genre of that love will be folk music.

Disc 419 is…Choice Language
Artist: Capercaillie

Year of Release: 2003

What’s up with the Cover?  A child’s hand grasps some kind of tall grass that I can’t identify, with some random words floating up in the bottom of the shot.  This cover is attractive enough, but nothing to write home about.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve been a fan of Capercaillie since the late eighties, when I first discovered them.  “Choice Language” is just me drilling through their collection, although when this album came out I somehow missed it, and so didn’t buy it until about five years later.  I think the band has only had two albums in the past ten years or so, so their output has slowed quite a bit, although I haven’t done any post-modern research about their lives that allows me to comment on why.  I only know I miss them.

How It Stacks Up:  I have nine Capercaillie albums, which is most of them.  “Choice Language” is not my favourite, but it holds its own.  I’ll say it is around 7th or 8th best, but competition is stiff.

Rating:  3 stars, but close to 4

Even though “Choice Language” isn’t an album I put on a lot, it is another strong entry, in the discography of the band I consider to embody the best of pure Celtic folk music, Capercaillie.

As with all of their albums, “Choice Language” gets its core from Karen Matheson’s exceptional vocals, pure as a highland stream, and Charlie McKerron’s fiddle, as complex and brazen as a high end Scotch.

Matheson’s voice shows no signs of flagging with age, and on songs like “Little Do They Know” and “Who Will Raise Their Voice?” she is able to lift lyrics that in lesser hands might have sounded clunky and trite.

Instead, these potentially schlocky songs are two of my favourites.  Still, neither one matches the beauty of the even more traditional “I Will Set My Ship in Order,” a classic ballad of ill-fated love.  The song tells the story of a sailor who comes to the casement window of his love, and says that if her father and mother will allow it, he would marry her right then and there, but he needs her answer right away.

In a lot of these Gaelic songs (and there are a lot of these) the man pines away for the girl he cannot have, with various tragic consequences.  Sometimes someone gets shot or stabbed, or the lovers run away together and something equally awful results.  This one took a surprising turn when the man, denied at the window leaves immediately.  His love changes her mind almost immediately, but before she can even get to the door to let him in, he’s already gone.

I couldn’t help but think this guy gave up pretty easily, although the whole ‘inconstant sailor’ is also a pretty common folk song thing as well, I suppose.  Seeing him gone, the maid decides to push the bounds of over-reaction, even for folk music:

"Come back, come back, my ain dear Johnny
Come back, come back and marry me"
"How can I come back and marry you, love?
Our ship is sailing on the sea"

"The fish may fly, and the seas run dry
The rocks may melt doon wi' the sun
And the working man may forget his labor
Before that my love returns again

"She's turned herself right roun' about
She's flung herself intae the sea
Farewell for aye, my ain dear Johnny
Ye'll ne'er hae tae come back to me"

I guess it just goes to show that in Celtic folk music if someone loves someone else, they better get it sorted out quickly, because one way or another tragedy is going to strike pretty damned quickly otherwise.

Impressively, Matheson’s vocals are so pure that they make you think this sort of youthful exuberance/idiocy is actually not only reasonable, but inescapable.  But it isn’t just the vocals; she’s aided in her task by the understated plucking of Manus Lunny on guitar, McKerron’s genius on fiddle and some whistle instrument of indeterminate nature (hey, I’m an amateur) by Michael McGoldrick.

I Will Set My Ship in Order” is timeless folk music that will not just sound fresh in twenty years, but in two hundred years as well.

Equally beautiful is the Gaelic song, “Nuair A Chì Thu Caileag Bhòidheach” or translated, “Whenever You See a Pretty Girl,” which is a sparsely arranged and touching song that (when translated) would be good advice for the couple in “I Will Set My Ship in Order”:

“Ach innse mi mar ghaol na h-òige (But I shall tell you of the love of the young)
Mura bheil mo chòmhradh meallt (Unless I'm mistaken)
Théid e seachad mar na sgòthan (It passes like the clouds)
'S mar na neòil tha os ar cionn (And the stars above)”

You see, window jumpers, there are other options out there.

Sadly, not all the tracks on “Choice Language” achieve the same high standard of these two.  They are generally good, but there are some production decisions I can do without, particularly the sort of smooth jazz aesthetic that is present in the background of some songs.  This kind of over-relaxed noodling occasionally takes away from Capercaillie’s efforts to create a more atmospheric Pink Floyd feel, and pushes the music painfully close to easy listening.  This is particularly painful in “Homer’s Reel” which has some amazing fiddle playing that is ill paired with jazzy piano that is entirely out of place on the record, or at least it should be.

It doesn’t happen often on “Choice Language”, which is generally excellent throughout, but it does happen enough to push the album down to three stars where it could’ve easily been four, given everything else it has going for it.

Best tracks:  Little Do They Know, The Sound of Sleat/The Fear/Dans Plinn, Nuair A Chì Thu Caileag Bhòidheach (Whenever You See a Pretty Girl), I Will Set My Ship in Order.

No comments: