Saturday, July 21, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 420: Holly Cole Trio


Back from another great game of Ultimate and lunch at my favourite Victoria diner, Floyd’s, and ready to write a blog entry.

Disc 420 is…Don’t Smoke in Bed
Artist: Holly Cole Trio

Year of Release: 1993

What’s up with the Cover?  Holly Cole is apparently ‘relaxing’ by sitting awkwardly in a photography studio.  This cover is alright, but it always bugs me that I can’t tell what kind of shoes Holly is wearing, or even if she is wearing shoes.  If she is, I suspect they are some variant on those clunky early nineties monstrosities women wore back then.  So not jazz.

How I Came To Know It: I think I saw a video for “I Can See Clearly Now” and fell in love with Cole’s voice, and went out and bought it shortly thereafter.  It’s not a great video, but the song shines through.

How It Stacks Up:  Holly Cole has ten or so studio albums, and a bunch of compilations and live albums besides, but like a lot of Canadians, this is the only one I have.

Rating:  4 stars

My first day listening to this album I was walking to work in a torrential downpour.  The first track is “I Can See Clearly Now” and when Cole’s voice, cool and easy, sang “the rain is gone” it made me feel like it actually was.  I even did a little twirl of my brolly, getting a little wet in the process, and hardly noticing.

The song is perfectly timed throughout.  David Piltch’s stand-up bass gets us started, filling in for a drum beat, and grounding the song throughout.  Cole starts off quiet and confident, almost cheerful, and by the end of the song her voice is a crescendo of positive energy.  Aaron Davis’ work on the piano is perfectly timed.  Holding silent through the first verse, by the second he begins politely introducing himself into the song’s empty spaces, first a little ahead of the beat, then a little behind, matching Cole’s vocals and showing another facet of the optimism that pervades this song.

The Holly Cole trio’s remake of this Johnny Nash classic is so good that it has ruined the original for me.  If by the end of this song you are not even a little bit more cheerful than when it started, you may want to see a doctor.

And thus “Don’t Smoke in Bed” gets off to a start it can’t ever equal, but my how it tries, as the trio deliver one jazz standard after another with simple, sweet arrangements that show their love for these songs, and the quiet confidence that you don’t need to overdo something to be noticed.

I’ve been trying to understand the difficult and dense musical form that is jazz most of my adult life, dating back to my early university days down at Herman’s Jazz Club.  I have never fully got it, but along the way I’ve come to love jazz trio (as opposed to a quartet or larger ensemble).  Holly Cole exemplifies why the trio is so good; simplicity.  You can only do so much noodling with three instruments – you need to trust each other’s contributions, and rely on restrained arrangements.

And within the empty spaces left in these arrangements, the Holly Cole trio are able to fully develop each note, whether it is Cole’s vocal acrobatics (and let me assure you, this girl has the pipes to fill that space) or just so you can appreciate the laid back vibe of Piltch’s bass, that could be lost in a less thoughtful approach to these songs.

Emotionally, the album ranges all over.  There is the bittersweet “Tennessee Waltz,” slow and sad, Davis’ piano holding the emotional core of the song, and allowing Cole’s voice to push right up to the edge of maudlin, without going over.  The two instruments support each other like dancers, each leaning out at opposing angles, but creating a tenuous balance that would collapse if one of them were to lean even a little bit farther.

Then there are playful songs like “So and So” and “Ev’rything I’ve Got” which show the lighter side of failed relationships, Cole jumping along to the up-tempo rhumba bass beat of “Ev’rything…” as she sasses her way through lyrics like:

"I have eyes for you to give you dirty looks
I have words that do not come from children's books
There's a trick with a knife I'm learning to do
And ev'rything I've got belongs to you"

These are fun, but apart from the five star stylings of “I Can See Clearly Now” I think this album is at its best when it is at its sweetest.

In “Everyday Will Be Like a Holiday” the trio gets an assist from saxophonist Joe Henderson, who mixes a triumphant note into the sweet, sweet joy of knowing your true love is about to be home from a trip.  Eighties producers take note; this is the correct way to work saxophone into a song.  It’s a big and brash member of the horn family, and you need to be aware that any excess noodling will be that much more pronounced.  But with piano playing a little riff behind it, and Cole’s voice delivering irrepressible joy at the prospect of a loving reunion, it fits perfectly.

And then there’s “Cry (If You Want To)” a song from a woman to her man letting him know that behind closed doors, he can show a little weakness, and let it out.  Cole’s vocal on this song may be her best on the album, if only because of the restraint she uses.  Here is a woman giving her man permission to shed a few tears, and not be diminished in her eyes.  My favourite line:

"No I won't make fun of you I won't tell anyone
 I won't analyze what you do or you should have done
 I won't advise you to go and have fun
 You can cry if you want to."

In lesser hands “Cry (If You Want To)” would feel like it was pandering or sickly sweet, but instead you just feel like someone is giving you a hug when you need one.

This album is ultimately a collection of old standards, and it doesn’t break new ground in the world of jazz.  That said I get sick of the desperate urge for jazz to feel like it always has to be breaking new ground.  More often than not, it just comes out a hot and excessively complicated mess.    “Don’t Smoke in Bed” treats these great songs with the tender care they deserve, and gives them room to grow.

Best tracks:  I Can See Clearly Now, So and So, The Tennessee Waltz, Everyday Will Be Like a Holiday, Cry (If You Want To).

No comments: