Thursday, July 12, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 417: Emmylou Harris


My blog was delayed by a day, since last night Sheila and I went to see Lyle Lovett and his Acoustic Band perform at the Royal Theatre.  It was a great show, but I’ll be writing about that in my next entry on my rule #5 exemption (I just bought his new album).

The end result was I’ve gotten a solid four listens in for this next album, and greatly enjoyed each and every one of them.

Disc 417 is…Pieces of the Sky
Artist: Emmylou Harris

Year of Release: 1975

What’s up with the Cover?  Emmylou Harris, one of the most enchantingly beautiful women in the world, shows that great hair existed in the days before product.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve known Emmylou Harris all my life, growing up with country music, but the only one I owned for a while was “Wrecking Ball,” her famous breakaway album with producer Daniel Lanois.

However you don’t have to have any Emmylou Harris albums to hear her; she sings back-up vocals nearly everywhere you turn.  Neil Young, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Bob Dylan, Lyle Lovett – hell, Emmylou has helped out so many other artists there are four separate Wikipedia pages just listing her collaborations.

As I kept hearing her voice over and over again, I knew I had to get more of her stuff, and that led to me to buying a bunch of her earlier work, “Pieces of the Sky” being one of the first.

How It Stacks Up:  I have nine Emmylou Harris albums, but they are really divided in style.  I’ve got five albums from 1975 – 1980 and another four spanning 1995 – 2008.  The sound is so different that it is hard to compare.  “Pieces of the Sky” is probably 2nd in terms of the first five, but if I had to rank it against all the albums, I would probably say 3rd or 4th best depending on my mood.

Rating:  4 stars

It was one hell of an impressive way to start a career.  “Pieces of the Sky” isn’t technically Emmylou’s first ever record (that was 1969’s “Gliding Bird”), but it was her first major release, and album that established her style, and started a legacy still going strong to this day.

Every time I listen to an Emmylou record, I’m amazed when I read the liner notes and find that she didn’t write all the songs.  She just takes over a song so completely you find it hard to believe it wasn’t hers all along.  She’s like a female Johnny Cash that way.

Even on songs that I knew very well by their original artists, like “Coat of Many Colors” by Dolly Parton and “Bottle Let Me Down” by Merle Haggard, I had a hard time remembering they weren’t covers.  In the case of “Coat of Many Colors” Harris’ version is superior.  Her quavering voice perfectly captures the timid but steadfast loyalty a young girl has to her faith and her mother’s love, as she endures the taunts of other school children for wearing a coat of many colors, sewn from scraps of leftover cloth.  To the other children, the coat represents poverty.  To the little girl, the coat puts her in the company of biblical giant Joseph.

Dolly’s version is upbeat, like most of what Dolly does, and it is excellent as well, but I like the way Emmylou’s high vibrato brings home how bravery has to find its centre in doubt and uncertainty, or it isn’t bravery at all.

Less so,”Bottle Let Me Down,” where Emmylou sings it more like a parlour song.  It is still brilliant, but minus the core of depression that Merle Haggard captures.  That said, I’d probably like it the best if I’d heard it first, it is so close to equal to the original.

That isn’t to say Emmylou can’t deliver a parlour song.  She is tender when she wants to be, but she also presents the image of a strong woman, secure in her sexuality and determined to have a good time and sing about it.  I’m not sure she has ever equaled “Feelin’ Single – Seein’ Double” off of her next record, “Elite Hotel” but two tracks on “Pieces of the Sky” come close.

Her cover of the Shel Silverstein classic, “Queen of the Silver Dollar” is every bit the equal of Dr. Hook’s version from around the same time.  The song is about a woman who frequents taverns, but is as royal as any princess.  Unlike Dr. Hook, which pities the protagonist in places, Emmylou’s song is a celebration that you can be a bit rough around the edges and still hold your head up high.  What’s more, she has the advantage (and chutzpah) of turning the final chorus to the first person, singing:

“Yes, I’m the Queen of the Silver Dollar
I rule this smoky kingdom
 My scepter is a wine glass
And a barstool is my throne.
Now the jesters flock around me
Tryin’ to win my favours
To see which one will take the
Queen of the Silver Dollar Home.”

Hearing that, I couldn’t help but think the little girl with the coat of many colors was all grown up.

The second great party song is Rodney Crowell’s “Bluebird Wine” a song about tying one on, minus the depressing backstory behind “Bottle Let Me Down.”  “Bluebird Wine” is a song about throwing a party, starting early and going late and loud.  Emmylou sings it like she’s been there, and makes you feel like you’re out there with her and her friends, sitting on the porch on a summer evening, laughing it up and enjoying life.

Yet for all her party girl, beer-out-of-the-bottle bravado, Emmylou is even more powerful when she decides to go for raw emotion.

Her voice is perfectly suited, so strong, yet so seemingly fragile I don’t think I’ve ever listened to one of her albums where at least once the hairs on the back of my neck didn’t stand up.  On “Pieces of the Sky” it happened twice.

The first time is on her classic, “Boulder to Birmingham,” the one song on this record she co-wrote, that had me wishing there were more.  From its opening lines:

“I don’t want to hear a love song
I got on this airplane just to fly”

You know you’re gonna be hearing a love song.  And when later she sings:

“I was in the wilderness and the canyon was on fire
And I stood on the mountain in the night and I watched it burn.
I watched it burn.”

You are burning on the inside.  Desire for that voice coming out of your speakers, a voice that you know will haunt you, desire to know a love so deeply it would move a person to volunteer to put their safety in the bosom of Abraham (if you wonder what’s so special about that, ask his son, Isaac).  A love so compelling that when she says she’d walk from Boulder to Birmingham, you not only believe her, but you’d walk with her.  As love songs go, this one is as perfect as they get.  It’s a prayer and it’s a cry for mercy, when love’s fires are so out of hand you’ve got no choice but to stand there and watch them burn.  Love’s a dangerous thing, folks, and Emmylou’s voice is a dangerous medium to get the message as you’ll find.

For all of “Boulder to Birmingham’s” firestorms, it is the introspective, gentle Emmylou, whispering to your soul in “Before Believing” that hits harder.  From uttering of the first line, the single word, ‘winter,’ rising in tone as she slowly pronounces it, telling you things are going to get cold now.

Paired with one of the most elegant guitar riffs you’ll ever hear trill off of a country record, Emmylou’s confessional is a song full of truths so profound, you only speak them to the closest person in your life, and only at four in the morning, when the darkness is the only thing that can blanket you enough to brave the cold and speak.

Even after hearing “Before Believing” dozens of times, I’m still not sure what it is entirely about.  The repeating refrain hints at it:

“I told you everything I could about me
I told you everything I could.”

The line haunts you with the unknown things the singer couldn’t tell you.  Even in that dark and honest moment, there is some fragile and unseen centre that Emmylou’s voice hints at, while still leaving you guessing.

There is one verse in this song that gets me every time:

“How would you feel if the world was falling apart around you
Pieces of the sky were falling in your neighbour’s yard
But not on you
Wouldn’t you feel just a little bit funny
Think maybe there’s something you oughta do”

Every time I hear this song I feel the oppressive presence of the end of the world around the corner.  A plague, nuclear winter, the zombie apocalypse – pick your poison.  The aloneness of it all is pervasive, but Emmylou’s voice cuts through the cold and the dark, giving a gentle prod, and reminding you to pick yourself up and find the strength to check on the neighbor.

Almost twenty years later, with her song “Winter”, Tori Amos would write one of the greatest, most thoughtful songs ever about the struggle for human connection in the face of the frigid chasm that separates our individual consciousnesses.  But as great as “Winter” is, that season got its start in 1975, with a raven-haired beauty who had the voice of an angel, but was brave enough on her first big album to not let it type-cast her as one.

Sure, you could argue there are three better records, but hopefully you’ll be inspired to go get this one anyway.  It’s as good a place to start as any.

Best Tracks:  Bluebird Wine, Boulder to Birmingham, Before Believing, Queen of the Silver Dollar.

No comments: