Friday, May 31, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1266: Jenny Lewis


I have a lot of errands to run today, and I’m behind schedule getting them done but before I head out, I want to get this review written. This will allow me to spend that errand time grokking some new album. What will that album be? I have no idea – I don’t allow myself to roll a new one until I’ve reviewed the current one. That way I stay focused.

Disc 1266 is… On the Line
Artist: Jenny Lewis

Year of Release: 2019

What’s up with the Cover? Ostensibly this is just Lewis giving the same torso shot she uses on her previous record, 2014’s “The Voyager” (reviewed back at Disc 675). However, I’m sure you’ll note there is something else going on as well. I’ll give you a clue. 58008. On a calculator. Upside down.

How I Came to Know It: I am a long-time Jenny Lewis fan and bought this as soon as it came out.

How It Stacks Up:  I have four of Jenny Lewis solo albums and one album called Jenny + Johnny that for some inexplicable reason I decided to include in the stacking up section years ago. That gives us five records, of which I put “On the Line” in at second place, bumping “The Voyager”, “Jenny + Johnny” and “Acid Tongue” all down a spot each in the process.

Ratings: 4 stars but almost 5

“On the Line” proves that Jenny Lewis is still on top of her game as a singer and songwriter. As with 2014’s “Voyager” she once again demonstrates her inimitable talent to write top notch innovative pop hooks which anchor songs that are cutesy on the surface, but powerfully insightful underneath.

“On the Line” is reminiscent of AM radio songs, with an easy sway and a sing-along quality that had me thinking of Fleetwood Mac or Linda Ronstadt combined with a mastery of emotional pacing and narrative flair on par with St. Vincent’s latest work. The production is just the way I like it; crisp and distinct with a little empty space to help you appreciate the songs’ progression, rounded on the edges like a pill from Miracle Max to make it go down easier.

For all that chocolate coating, these songs have a lot of sadness and regret in them. “Wasted Youth” and “Party Clown” are both earworms. On one level they present as celebrations of youthful enthusiasm; a summer garden party that goes on a little too long. But with lyrics like “Everybody knows it’s a tightrope/The cookie crumbles into dust” you know that while much fun was had, there was also a lot of self-destructive behavior.

While Lewis explores the mistakes of youth, “On the Line” is principally a break-up record, and a great entry in that canon. Lewis channels an unfaithful lover and a lost relationship into some quality music. “Taffy” is a poignant exploration of the moment of discovery of that broken faith on a phone left unlocked. When I hear her sing:

“If you’re not willing then I’m not giving
You my heart of gold”

You get the full force of someone who has both a broken heart, but a whole lot of resolve to move on nonetheless. I just wanted to hug her and tell her it was going to be OK, but of course she already knows this. Phone imagery returns on the title track, with Lewis singing:

“He left me for a super fan
Called Caroline, uh
Before you let her
Under your sweater tonight
Listen to my heart beating
On the line.”

By the time the album wraps up with “Rabbit Hole” you have a full appreciation for Lewis’ journey. She sings “I’m not gonna go down the rabbit hole” leaving you a minute to wonder what just happened throughout the record, before she clarifies in the next line… “with you”. It goes to show that if you break up with a great singer-songwriter you are going to be immortalized, but you’re not likely to enjoy the experience.

Rabbit Hole” is also the most up-beat pop ditty on the record, which – coming as it does after the raw and sensitive admissions of “On the Line” – is a nice reminder that Lewis is going to be alright. The album features moments of nastiness and regret, but also a good sense of self and self-worth. Lewis has been through a lot lately but this record shows she’s taking it in stride. No hugs from random fans required.

All the songs on “On the Line” are earworms, that are then further enriched with emotionally evocative lyrics. I listened to the album three times over the last couple of days and I never got tired of it. The songs have that quality that is the hallmark of every great pop song work - the anticipation of the melody so that the more you hear it, the more you enjoy it. I’ll be putting that to the test in the years ahead, as I expect this record will get lots of play outside of the confines of the CD Odyssey.

Best tracks: Heads Gonna Roll, Wasted Youth, Hollywood Lawn, Party Clown, Little White Dove, Taffy

No comments: