Monday, June 3, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1267: Okkervil River


I’m off work this week doing my annual spiritual recharge. Today has been a good and restful one, starting with a whole bunch of French Open tennis, a nap with my cat and now a music review.

All of this is designed to try to keep my mind off not only work, but also the stress of the Stanley Cup finals. My beloved Bruins play the St. Louis Blues in Game 4 tonight.

Disc 1267 is… Don’t Fall In Love With Everyone You See
Artist: Okkervil River

Year of Release: 2002

What’s up with the Cover? The world’s scariest one-man band. One-man band dudes are a bit weird to begin with, but I think Bird Skull here takes the title. I wonder what he keeps in that mini armoire? I’m going to go with squirrel bones.

How I Came to Know It: I’ve known Okkervil River for years, but I didn’t really know this album at all. Then I saw it for sale used at a local record shop and decided to give it a chance.

How It Stacks Up:  I have nine Okkervil River albums, which is all of their full-length efforts. Of those nine, I rank “Don’t Fall In Love With Everyone You See” somewhere around #5 through #7. Since I’m not one to equivocate, I’ll go with…7.

Ratings: 3 stars

“Don’t Fall in Love With Everyone You See” is Okkervil River’s debut full length LP and it sounds like it: full of fresh promise and raw energy and the occasional roughness around the edges of a band still evolving. Okkervil River are still finding their path, but the overgrown trail is worth the walk.

Bands are always evolving, and this is more true of Okkervil River than most. In the past eight years or so they have adopted a much lusher and electronically friendly sound. I like their new sound, but like any hipster wannabee, I also hold their early sound close to my heart.

“Don’t Fall in Love…” is a more organic record than recent listeners will expect, with a lot of acoustic guitar strumming, but the harbingers of what they would become are already here. There is a bit of horn or cello here and there creating an orchestral feel throughout that tells you this is only ever going to be part folk music, and that’s just how the band likes it.

The one continuous element to the band is the singing and songwriting of Will Sheff, who at this early stage already demonstrates a knack for both melodic composition and some complicated arrangements that never trip over one another. That said there are moments (“Lady Liberty”) comes to mind where there is a bit too much banging and crashing going on. It works and doesn’t technically get in its own way, but it was still a bit frantic near the end for my tastes.

I also regret the decision to have guest singer Daniel Johnston sing part of “Happy Hearts.” Sheff’s vocals can tend toward a pitchy warble, but they are an acquired taste, that once acquired work perfectly with these oddball folk-pop ballads. Daniel Johnston sounds strained and scratchy. Knowing the rough-edged production on this one track is deliberate didn’t help any either. It frustrated me because this should have been one of the album’s better tracks, and I would love to hear it re-recorded in their modern polished style. Maybe at a live show…

When it all lands right, “Don’t Fall in Love…” has magical moments. The opening track “Red” is a gut-wrencher, opening with:

“Red is my favourite colour, red like your mother’s
Eyes after a while of crying about how you don’t love her.”

This song and “My Bad Days” both had an insistent emotional twist to their melodies that reminded me favourably of early seventies Leonard Cohen. It is high praise and while the lyrics aren’t at the same consistent level, the band lands the same torture and hurt in their delivery.

The record’s standout track is “Westfall” a troubling crime ballad tracing a psychopath’s journey from youth, through adolescence and murder. Like many great murder ballads, Sheff worms his way inside the psyche of the killer and forces you to see the world through his eyes. The song ends with the ominous line as the killer faces the cameras of the courtroom:

“They’re looking for evil, thinking they can trace it
But evil don’t look like anything.”

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong) Sheff was inspired to write the song about a specific murder. I won’t mention which one, since the song was recorded in 2002 and the convictions have since been overturned. The crime is now an unsolved cold case. In any event, none of the names in the song match either killers or victims, which is just as well. In the end, the song is a fiction and a damned creepy one at that.

Westfall” is the best effort on a record that takes you on an many explorations of the dark recesses of the human heart (albeit not all quite so deadly). The record will haunt you at times, but you’ll enjoy the journey.

Best tracks: Red, Westfall, Okkervil River

No comments: