Thursday, May 2, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1257: The Tragically Hip


I had planned to review this tomorrow morning, but I have a lot of chores tomorrow and with Sheila watching some Project Runway the time is now.

Disc 1257 is… Trouble at the Henhouse
Artist: The Tragically Hip

Year of Release: 1996

What’s up with the Cover? A dog with a murderous look on its face, looks to make some trouble…at the henhouse. We don’t know what the chickens might have done to bring the nasty out in this dog. However, I have raised chickens and can attest that they can be pretty dumb and even downright insensitive.

Dogs aren’t the sharpest minds either, and we can only hope that a sensible cat will come around and sort this situation out before things get any more out of hand.

How I Came to Know It: I think Sheila bought this in a bargain bin years ago. I could be wrong, since she doesn’t buy a lot of CDs. Then again, she does love a bargain…

How It Stacks Up:  We have five of the Tragically Hip’s 13 studio albums. Of the five, I must reluctantly place “Trouble at the Henhouse” in last place.

Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

It’s not often I enjoy wall-of-sound production, but “Trouble at the Henhouse” made me a believer. This record is rock and roll, with reverb and sustain painted all over it. Unexpectedly, I liked it.

The Hip are a Canadian icon, but despite this record climbing to #1 and spawning five top 40 singles, I mostly remember it for its biggest song, “Ahead by a Century.” That song is a gorgeous and wistful rock journey with a slow steady build and a lighter touch on the production than you might expect from my lede above. I liked this song when I first heard it over twenty years ago and it still stands the test of time.

However, I also appreciated when the music gets lush and dense. “Gift Shop” opens the record with layer upon layer of brilliance from guitarists Rob Baker and Paul Langlois. I’m not a big enough Hip fan to know who plays which parts, but I love the way the guitar on this song cuts through the thick production like a shark cruising deep water.

Even “Flamenco” which is a quieter song, still has an ambience to it that makes you feel like you’re floating. “Flamenco” also shows off the genius of lead singer and chief lyricist Gord Downie. Downie sings with a light otherworldly vibrato that makes you feel like he’s tapping into some other wavelength that you can’t hear. This effect is magnified by his propensity to write lyrics that are non-linear yet somehow metaphorically compelling. There are many great lines on the record, but these ones from “Flamenco” called out to me on this listen:

“Walk like a matador,
Don’t be a chicken-shit
And turn breezes into rivulets

“Flamenco-sweep the air
And weave the sun
And stamp your feet for everyone.”

The song doesn’t follow a narrative so much as it paints a picture, makes you see its subject matter as a series of images, each one speaking to a complicated character.

For all this cleverness, “Trouble at the Henhouse” never forgets that at its core it is just good old-fashioned Canadian rock and roll. The songs are complex but at their core are guitar by relatively few chords and some electric guitar. While Downie is not a traditional rock crooner, he sits in the pocket while he does his thing, which the songs require. The Hip’s earlier albums have a much stronger blues-rock groove, and while “Trouble…” dresses that up in a lot of complexity, that core groove continues to provide a base upon which the band builds.

Near the end the record gets a bit droney and experimental, but while I liked these songs less I still liked them, and they provided a nice mellow finish to what was an enjoyable overall experience.

When I rolled this album I had a feeling I was going to part with it when I was done. I rarely put it on, and when I do play Hip albums I tend to pick different ones. Instead on every listen (there were several) I liked this record more and more. Even now, with three consecutive play-throughs under my belt I feel like I owe it a lot more time. It is music that demands an immersive experience and some patience, but it is worth the time invested.  

Best tracks: Gift Shop, Springtime in Vienna, Ahead by a Century, Flamenco, Butts Wigglin, Apartment Song

No comments: