Thursday, May 9, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1260: Molly Tuttle


Even when you think you know an album like the back of your hand, it can surprise you. Earlier this week I was watching American Idol (don’t ask) and a contestant sang “Somewhere” from West Side Story. It sounded eerily familiar to me, even though I didn’t recall ever hearing it before.

Then I realized that Queen’s “Want To Live Forever” (which the same contestant had sung the week earlier) was paying direct homage to “Somewhere” both lyrically and melodically. I’ve heard “Who Wants to Live Forever” countless times, but never knew the extra level of clever writer Brian May infused it with. Well played, Brian, well played.

But enough of past glory – here’s some glory happening right in the hear and now.

Disc 1260 is… Rise
Artist: Molly Tuttle

Year of Release: 2017

What’s up with the Cover? Tuttle looking angelic in a white shirt against a white background. Skip the harps – I’d rather have angels like Molly Tuttle around to play some killer bluegrass licks as I expire.

How I Came to Know It: I discovered Tuttle through an article on Paste Magazine called “10 Folk Artists You Need to Know in 2019”. I also discovered Emily Fairlight, Lula Wiles and the Honey Dewdrops through that article but I have a feeling Tuttle will be the best of all. “Rise” is an early Tuttle EP as I dug through her back catalogue.

Fun fact – I am currently on the lookout for two albums by a band called the Goodbye Girls who I only just found out…include Molly Tuttle! Small world. I now know one of the reasons I liked those albums so much and want them even more.

How It Stacks Up:  I have two Molly Tuttle albums, this one and her 2019 release “When You’re Ready”. I love them both but I will reluctantly put “Rise” in second place.

Ratings: 4 stars but almost 5

I’ve heard a lot of folk music in my life. I like a lot of it, but the more I hear the harder it is to wow me. Molly Tuttle wowed me. This is a record that makes me stupid, as I sit with like a slack-jawed idiot, a half-open smile on my face and my head cocked to the side as though it could somehow make me hear it better, or absorb it deeper into my bones.

Frightening as it sounds, when she recorded “Rise” Molly Tuttle was the tender age of 23. She has continued to grow and evolve her sound. Here the record is sparse and powerful. Tuttle wrote all the songs, many of which sound like traditional or contemporary folk classics. She has a natural talent for melodies that are timeless and effortless in their intricacy. Like the Music of the Spheres, only where the universe is condensed to six guitar strings.

To be fair, it isn’t all Tuttle. She has some impressive musicians on this record. In particular, Wesley Corbett’s work on the banjo is sublime. In bluegrass tradition Tuttle gives him plenty of opportunities to shine and he rises to the challenge every time.

But seriously, let’s talk about Molly Tuttle’s guitar work. You’ll often hear that jazz musicians are the greatest of all musicians. Certainly, the best can go places few can. What you won’t hear enough is how great a folk musician has to be to stand out. Folk music is a lot simpler in structure than jazz, but that just means you need to be a master of your instrument to stand out. Tuttle is the International Bluegrass Music Awards guitar player of the year two years running.

Just citing an award doesn’t do this playing justice, however. Tuttle can flat pick better than anyone, and she can clawhammer better than anyone as well. On “Good Enough” her fingers flick with a precision that feels impossible at the speed she plays. And it isn’t just fast; every note is laden with emotional resonance, and no note is wasted. Even if the song didn’t have a single word, the music would tell you this song is a young woman moving on from heartbreak.

On “Lightning in a Jar” she slows it down and adds a little Spanish flair into her playing, creating a combination of passion and smoke. “Save This Heart” features heavy bass notes that create a beating heart, even as her fingers trill over the high notes and give that heart beat the flutter of love and passion.

While her most powerful voice is expressed through her guitar, as a vocalist she is no slouch either. Tuttle vocals are youthful and clear with just a hint of extra breath such that she always sounds a little exhilarated. She reminded me favourably of Sarah Jarosz in both her singing style and for her inspired musicianship (Jarosz’ weapon of choice being the mandolin). Please, please do an album together, ladies.

Lyrically, these songs cover topics that are by the book with lots of variations on youthful love and empowerment.  That’s OK by me, though; you can’t have enough love in the world, nor enough songs to express it. I won’t quote any here, though, because without that guitar work I feel like I’m doing the song a disservice. It would be like looking at a picture of the David, rather than seeing it live in three dimensions.

My biggest beef with this record is that as an EP it has only seven songs. That is not enough songs! More songs! Fortunately, Tuttle is young and has many more years to share her brilliance. I have a feeling I’ll be champing at the bit in anticipation of every release.

Best tracks: Good Enough, Save This Heart, Lightning in a Jar, Friend and a Friend, Super Moon

No comments: