Thursday, July 16, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 8: Megadeth

Random order is fun. From rock to jazz to metal to folk and now back to metal again. And people wonder why I let dice rolls influence my leisure time.

Disc 8 is...Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Artist: Megadeth

Year of Release: 1986

How I Came To Know It: Although an avowed Heavy Metal Meathead, I haven't had much time for Megadeth. Recently, my buddy Ross put the song "Peace Sells" on and I liked it, so I bought the album.

How It Stacks Up: I have 2 Megadeth albums. This one is far superior to the other.

Rating: 3 stars

What can you say about Megadeth - founded by Dave Mustaine - a guy so messed up that Metallica kicked him out of the band.

Megadeth is known for provocative (for their time) cover art and lyrics. This cover is a bombed out UN building I believe. Does that image provoke you? If so, Megadeth is probably very happy with their work.

Megadeth is a lot like Metallica, but not as good. Note that when I speak of Metallica being good I am speaking of pre-Black album. Post-Black album might taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know, cause I've never eaten the filthy...

But I digress.

In a word, Megadeth is inconsistent. This album is pretty obvious and boring in many places, although the first three tracks are solid, and the band can definitely play. It culminates in "Peace Sells". This is a track that holds its rightful place among the greatest metal songs in history. Best line, "What do you mean I don't support your system?/I go to court when I have to."

It is awesome, and on that basis I'm giving this album 3 stars, where ordinarily it might just warrant 2.

If you must buy a Megadeth album I think it is this one. I've also heard Rust in Peace is pretty good, but I don't have it. Maybe one day in a moment of metal weakness...

Best tracks: Peace Sells

1 comment:

Sheila said...

"Peace Sells" is the only song I would upload onto my mp3 player. But I do have a soft spot for Megadeth from my metal days.