Friday, July 3, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 3: Jerky Boys

The third roll goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Disc 3 is...The Jerky Boys

Artist: The Jerky Boys

Year of Release: 1993

How I Came To Know It: This album was introduced to me by my buddy Jeff O. I lost touch with Jeff years ago, and I often wonder how he's doing. He was one of the happiest people I've ever met, so it is fitting that he put me on to a pretty funny comedy album.

How It Stacks Up: This is the only Jerky Boys album I own. I think there are at least 4, but this one is the famous one.

Rating: 3 stars

The Jerky Boys were basically a couple of New York guys who would record the prank calls they made around the city and then distribute them on underground, wholly illegal tapes. That is how I first heard them (some of that stuff never made it to legitimacy).

The CD was a result of them getting so famous doing these tapes, they eventually got a record deal. At least that's how I remember it - and since it is a Creative Maelstom, and not a Historic Maelstrom, I'm sticking with that.

Anyway - it is damned funny stuff, although it is even more embarrassing to listen to in the car than gangsta rap. I actually turned it off at stop lights. With the gangsta rap, I just turn it down.

I don't think we need to spend a lot of time here - if you want to hear it, then buy your own, jerky!

Best tracks: Irate Tile Man, Car Salesman, Super Across the Way, Auto Mechanic, Punitive Damages.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Not a huge fan of the Jerky Boys - did anyone ever see that movie they made? But I will admit they make me laugh.