Sunday, June 30, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1275: Capercaillie


Most of my music listening gets done on my bus ride to work or my walk home. However, I had a lot of errands to run on Friday and it necessitated a lot of wandering around town, allowing me to get in a full listen of this next album.

Despite it being mostly chores, I did find time to duck into the local record store, where I grabbed L7’s new album “Scatter the Rats” and another Sabaton record, “Heroes.” Both are good, but more on those when I roll them.

Disc 1275 is… Roses and Tears
Artist: Capercaillie

Year of Release: 2008

What’s up with the Cover? Children play in a water park. I assume the water is either rosewater or tears. A rosewater fountain would be some kind of mystical blessed fountain – maybe a Water Park of Youth? By contrast, a tear fountain would be a cursed water park that feeds off of any drama that children have while playing and then absorbs their psychic distress through their tears. That last type of water park should probably have a parental advisory.

How I Came to Know It: I’ve known Capercaillie since I bought one of their albums at A&B Sound (a now defunct record store) in 1989. I picked my first Capercaillie album based on it having a lot of songs in Gaelic (I was really into Scottish folk music at the time). I bought “Roses and Tears” when it came out.

How It Stacks Up:  I have nine Capercaillie albums. I would have ten but I stopped buying them after “Roses and Tears.” Not surprisingly, it comes in last place.

Ratings: 2 stars

There was a time when if I liked a band I had to own every album they released. That time has passed, allowing me to realize that “Roses and Tears” would have been a fine Capercaillie record, if only I didn’t have eight better ones.

All the elements I like are still here. Karen Matheson’s voice remains one of folk music’s great treasures. Her tone is pure and sweet, with a mysterious quality that evokes woodland faeries or Middle Earth elves. She often sings in Gaelic which means I have no idea what she’s saying, but she makes it all seem very important.

Unfortunately, the songs in English didn’t feel this way at all. “Don’t You Go” and “Soldier Boy” are songs designed to be suffused with intense emotion. The former is a mother pleading with her son not to go to war, and “Soldier Boy” is about the terrible toll war takes on those who must endure it. Whether it is the smooth production (more on that later) or Matheson’s too-perfect diction these songs didn’t affect me the way they should given the subject matter. Strangely, “Seinneam Cliu Nam Fear Ur” - another song about the sacrifices of war - was incredibly powerful, even though I had to look up a translation before I knew what it was about.

Charlie McKerron is one of my favourite fiddle players, with a Scottish style that is rough and raw. Listening to it I can see why it was Scottish folk that first weened me off of heavy metal in the eighties – it’s just heavier than Irish or American fiddle playing. I like all these styles now but having immersed myself in a Mandolin Orange album earlier in the week, it was quite an adjustment. All that sprightly bluegrass playing from Emily Franz is glorious but very different than McKerron’s clarion blasts.

The McKerron fiddle tracks are my favourite songs on “Roses and Tears” particularly the reels where he can cut loose. “The Aphrodisiac” and “Rose Cottage Reels” have him at his best, technically perfect, but still suffusing every note with emotion and import. Listening to McKerron I was tempted to set aside my decision to part with this record, and I had to keep reminding myself I have heaps of his excellence on other records already.

It is the production that most lets “Roses and Tears” down. Apart from those fiddle reels many tracks feel artificially perfect. At times it lacks that organic quality which is what makes folk music soar. It doesn’t wreck the record, but it does make me yearn for other Capercaillie records that do all the good things this one does, only better.

Best tracks: The Aphrodisiac, Seinneam Cliu Nam Fear Ur, Rose Cottage Reels

No comments: