Wednesday, April 29, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 731: James Brown

April, come she will. Before she leaves I’m squeezing in one more review.

Disc 731 is…. Make it Funky: The Big Payback 1971-1975
Artist: James Brown

Year of Release: 1996 but with music from (duh) 1971-1975

What’s up with the Cover? Almost prayer-like in his concentration, James Brown prepares to deliver the funk.

How I Came To Know It: My friends Nick and Spence both had this album and played it often. I coveted it for years but could never find it. I even contemplated burning a temporary copy off of them, but couldn’t do it. James Brown may be dead, but that doesn’t make it OK to steal from his grave. Buy your music, people.

How It Stacks Up:  This is a compilation album so it doesn’t stack up.

Rating: Compilation albums don’t get ratings, but if they did this one would do very well.

There is no one funkier than James Brown and his band. Song after song on this compilation deliver riffs that make your spine slide around in all kinds of pleasing gyrations.

It is no wonder that rap samples James Brown more than any other artist. The grooves are so sharply delivered you couldn’t do better even if you sampled and looped them. They slink along in a rhythm that makes you strut when you walk. Even though my walk to work is only twenty minutes, the groove stayed in my bones for hours after I reluctantly took the head phones off.  I would go so far as to say if you aren’t strutting when you listen to “Make it Funky” you aren’t listening hard enough.

The backing band are all virtuosos and James Brown is a masterful – if demanding – band leader. He is the Glenn Miller of his day, directing things with his voice as he demands the drummer to “get on top of it” and then “get into it” and the drummer seamlessly makes the necessary adjustments. Elsewhere he tells the trombone to play different styles of jazz in time with the groove, getting exactly what he wants every time.

All these instruments ‘hitting it’ and ‘quitting it’ in perfect time creates a crisp, layered groove where you can generally take it all in, or bend your ear now to the bass, now to the guitar, now to the horns. Whatever way you choose to focus, it always works.

If you prefer lyrics, the lyrics on this record aren’t that exciting. There are songs where Brown tackles inner city issues, such as “King Heroin,” “Problems” and “Funky President (People It’s Bad)” but this isn’t the focus of this music. This is music to make you move and have a good time.

In fact, the sillier Brown gets with his proto-rap delivery the happier I am. On “World of Soul” he spends most of the song just yelling out astrology signs followed by “Can ya hollah?” “Gemini – can ya hollah? Aquarius – can ya hollah?” His timing and enthusiasm are so good he makes such pointless rambling cool.

On “I Can’t Stand It” he calls for the band to play various forms of funk – “Georgia funk!” “Saltwater funk!” “Hambone funk!” – all of these funks sound the same, but they all sound awesome. You know they are having an effect on Brown as well, who at one point exclaims “I feel so funky I want to take off my watch and ring.” I think we can all agree that when you take off your watch and ring, it means you are feeling exceptionally funky. He later takes off his shoes for the same reason. At this point I would also take off my socks, because you just look silly in only socks, but this development is not mentioned. But I digress…

The songs on this album take their time to unfold. Many are six to ten minutes, but because they are such a pleasant groove you don’t mind. The best of them is “Hot Pants, Parts 1 & 2” which is the sexiest, funkiest song on this album. A song that leaves you feeling satisfied and sweaty, but a little bit disappointed that there just aren’t more songs written about hot pants.

It isn’t all perfect, though. At 13:50 “Papa Don’t Take No Mess” doesn’t have quite enough over the top exhortations or funky riffs to sustain itself. I would have cut this one off at 8:00 or so, but you can’t order the funk around like that. Funk is like the tenth muse; she comes when she pleases and you risk her wrath if you try to cut her off before she has fully shook her thang.

There are also remakes of earlier songs that have been funkified, including “I Feel Good.” I’m not a fan of “I Feel Good” generally, and while the funky version is better, it doesn’t do enough to make me love it.

While overall I prefer a slightly earlier period (196-1969 which is represented on “Foundations of Funk” (reviewed back at Disc 621) there are tracks on “Make it Funky” that you simply must own if you are a James Brown fan. In addition to “Hot Pants” you need to have “The Payback” and “My Thang” or you haven’t lived.

I slightly broke the rules on this album – getting my work station set up as I listened to the last five minutes or so of “Papa Don’t Take No Mess” and when I got home feeding the cat as I listened to the last five minutes of the funk. The whole two disc set is over two hours of music though, and allowances had to be made. I never insulted the Muse of Funk though; I was struttin’ and swayin’ the whole time.


Best tracks: Hot Pants Parts 1 & 2, I’m a Greedy Man, Don’t Tell It, The Payback, My Thang

No comments: