Wednesday, April 22, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 729: The Cars

It is another busy week for your humble author. I could’ve written this review last night but like a carpenter who can’t convince his hands to build any more furniture after a long day, I couldn’t get my tired brain to compose any more sentences.

This is just as well, since I don’t know this album as much as I should, and the extra day meant getting an extra listen.

Disc 729 is…. Candy-O
Artist: The Cars

Year of Release: 1979

What’s up with the Cover? One of rock and roll’s most iconic album covers and also one of my all-time favourites. I’m confident I don’t need to explain why.

How I Came To Know It: When I was a kid I owned a 45 of “Let’s Go” (it might have originally been my brother’s, but he passed it along). I used to play it all the time; occasionally on ‘33’ speed just because I thought it sounded funny (and still kind of cool) when slowed down.

I didn’t get the full album until fairly recently, partly because I wasn’t familiar with any of the other songs. Eventually, my desire to have a digital version of “Let’s Go,” my curiosity for the Cars’ sound, and my prurient interest in the awesome cover by pin-up artist Alberto Vargas won over and I bought it on disc.

How It Stacks Up:  We have three Cars albums, and of the three I must put “Candy-O” at the bottom of the pile. Here is the full list:

  1. Self-Titled:  4 stars (reviewed at Disc 550)
  2. Heartbeat City:  3 stars (reviewed at Disc 562)
  3. Candy-O:  n stars (reviewed right here)
Rating: 2 stars but almost 3

“Candy-O” is well named. It is instantly enjoyable, but it doesn’t have much going for it beyond the initial sweetness, and it doesn’t fill you up the way you want.

The album launches itself with a bang, with the enthusiastic (and exhortative) “Let’s Go” a song about a seventeen year old flirt you’re liable to encounter on a Friday night if you’re out late enough. The girl is a ‘frozen fire’, has a ‘risque mouth’ and is so beautiful she doesn’t wear her shoes. I’m not entirely sure what any of this means, but who cares – the song is about being out on the town and seeing a pretty girl. Beyond that, it is such a fun tune that you needn’t worry about some deeper message.

The whole album is in the Cars’ singular style that mixes in new wave and classic rock into a perfect blend that shouldn’t work but does. These guys mastered the use of the synthesizer eight to ten years before anyone else, and no one else ever came along to do it better. On “It’s All I Can Do” the verses sound like a Talking Heads number and the chorus feels like ELO proto-disco, and weirdly, it all works.

There are no real stinkers on the album, but I couldn’t help but find myself comparing the songs to those on their self-titled debut. Their debut has the same incredible sound and ear for production, but the songs are just way better. As sometimes happens on a sophomore album, the songs on “Candy-O” have the slight whiff of B-side or cutting room floor about them. With a few exceptions they don’t have the same fully formed concepts as the record before.

At the other end of the spectrum, the album is beginning to transition the band into the more pure pop sound on “Heartbeat City.” Again, these aren’t fully formed yet. There are some cool sound effects throughout the album, particularly on the title track but even on that song it feels like the band is trying just a little too hard to be themselves. That should come naturally.

As a complete record, there is a lot to recommend “Candy O” and I think it would have been a pretty sweet house party album in its day. However, it doesn’t have the depth it needs – musically or lyrically – to be great. Fortunately even when not firing on all cylinders, the Cars still know how to deliver a fun ride.


Best tracks: Let’s Go, It’s All I Can Do

No comments: