Tuesday, April 14, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 726: Concrete Blonde

For the last couple of years I’ve been trying to read more. I went from 24 books read in 2010 down to just 9 in 2013. Last year I had a bit of a comeback with 17 (and 13 plays as well) and this year I’ve already read 9 and hoping to keep up the positive momentum.

Why does it matter? I suppose it doesn’t, but it just feels more rewarding spending my lunch break reading a book instead of idly surfing the web.

For those who prefer to surf the web, I’m glad you ended up here. Now read this review, and when you’re finished go pick up a book.

Disc 726 is…. Walking in London
Artist: Concrete Blonde

Year of Release: 1992

What’s up with the Cover? Judging by all the slap-dash props and gold foil I assume the band has stumbled into an elementary school music production involving one of Martha Stewart’s kids.

Also of note is that organic sun/moon thing going on in the title. In the nineties this whole sun/moon decorating thing was everywhere. Sheila and I even had a rug with a similar design in our kitchen when we first lived together. Although ours did not have the sun trying to slip the moon the tongue like this one does. Yeesh.

How I Came To Know It: By the time “Walking in London” came out I had been a fan of Concrete Blonde for years, so this was just me buying their new album when it was released.

How It Stacks Up:  I have four Concrete Blonde albums and this is my least favourite. I still like it in places, but it doesn’t hold up against their previous three records.

Since this also represents the last Concrete Blonde album in my collection that I have to review at present, a ranking recap is in order:
  1. Bloodletting:  4 stars (reviewed at Disc 197)
  2. Self-Titled:  3 stars (reviewed at Disc 711)
  3. Free:  3 stars (reviewed at Disc 229)
  4. Walking in London: 2 stars (reviewed right here)
Rating: 2 stars but almost 3

“Walking in London” was Concrete Blonde’s first album following their commercial breakthrough with “Bloodletting” and it is clear from the first track they are ready to keep pushing the boundaries of their music.

The basic Concrete Blonde sound is still there. A fuzzy cocoon of rock, heavy on the bass and the haunting but jagged edged tone of lead singer Johnette Napolitano’s voice. It’s as if the Cure got drunk on Jack Daniels and is looking for someone to punch in the mouth.

This feeling comes across on the title track. “Walking in London,” is a song with a menacing saunter to it that makes you feel like you got a bit too cocky in a foreign city and taken a wrong turn into a bad neighbourhood. This is a mood piece and an old friend for Concrete Blonde fans that enjoyed their first three albums.

While holding on to this core sound, the album also branches into a number of other directions. The hit single “Ghost of a Texas Ladies’ Man,” mixes this ice cold saunter with an up tempo drum beat that would be more at home on “Ballroom Blitz.” The moody vampire imagery common to “Bloodletting” is replaced with a racy encounter with the voyeuristic ghost of a long tall Texan. It is a fun song, and Napolitano displays a playfulness that isn’t to be found much on her earlier records. Best line:

“’You don’t scare me, you don’t scare me’, I cried
To my ectoplasmic lover from the other side.”

Woman to Woman” is a dark brooding bit of revenge as the ‘other woman’ comes clean to the wife, but as a show of female solidarity. This is “Jolene” calling Dolly back to tell her she’s got nothing to worry about, other than the fact that her husband is a jerk.

There are lots of other little forays into other styles as well. “Why Don’t You See Me” is a weightless Pink Floyd mood piece, “Les Coeurs Jumeaux” is a bit of continental whimsy and “City Screaming” is a song about riding the bus.

Sadly, “City Screaming” also shows one of the record’s negatives; an excess use of ambient sound. Beeping horns, helicopters and car engines are added to make you feel like you’re in downtown traffic. I prefer when the music conveys those experiences directly, without resorting to the tricks of the sound stage. Similarly, “I Wanna Be Your Friend Again” has an interminable section where we overhear not only one half of an awkward phone conversation between ex-lovers, but Napolitano’s voice-over telling the woman what she should be saying. Again, I’d prefer some evocative lyrics over a self-referential radio play.

My favourite tracks are actually where the band just focuses on a simple melody. “Someday?” and “…Long Time Ago” are both oddly punctuated but solid pop songs. They could have ended up too sugary if it weren’t for the bitter grounding Napolitano’s vocals and lyrics give them. “Someday?” is “Joey”-lite but truth be told, I like it better than the band’s biggest hit.

The album ends with a strong version of James Brown’s “It’s A Man’s World.” This song has been a bit ruined for me by the parade of also-ran American Idol contestants that sing it every season. Concrete Blonde reminds me that it can be covered in a way that does the original credit, rather than as the vocal exercise it is reduced to on reality television.

“Walking in London” tries a bit too hard, and in places it loses focus or falls into bad production decisions, but the missteps come from an honest place of experimentation, so I tend to forgive its faults. It is like Metallica’s black album; not the classic sound of what came before, but still worth a listen in its own right if you give it a chance.


Best tracks: Walking in London, Someday, …Long Time Ago 

No comments: