Wednesday, January 28, 2015

CD Odyssey: The First 700

As is tradition, I'm taking a quick pit-stop to take stock as I reach another milestone - 700 albums reviewed!

Three and four star albums continue to be the norm, with 38 records in each category. It is hardly surprising that a collection of my personal music would be slightly skewed toward the top.

That said, the number of five star albums is down, with only seven making the grade out of the last 100. Here is the best of the past 100:

  • Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
  • Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Steve Earle - Guitar Town
  • Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
  • Body Count - Self Titled
  • Dick Dale - Checkered Flag
Only one record scored the lowly 1 star, and that was shockingly an Alice Cooper album - the bizarre German import "Science Fiction."

I've been getting a bit more draconian in my willingness to get rid of albums lately. Although it pained me, "Science Fiction" was sold and so was Emily Haines' "Knives Don't Have Your Back." I managed to find more appreciative homes for three more records: Guru's "Jazzmatazz 3: Streetsoul," Bison BC's "Dark Ages" and Gordon Lightfoot's "Summer Side of Life" all got passed along to fellow music lovers.

Alice Cooper continues to lead in the total review category with 22, and Steve Earle has caught up to Tom Waits for second - I've reviewed 14 of each.

I think I may have even passed the halfway point of my journey somewhere along the way, although since I keep buying music it is hard to be sure. It doesn't matter where I'm at, only that I'm still enjoying the journey. I hope you are as well.

No comments: