Tuesday, January 20, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 698: Queen

It wasn’t the greatest day in the history of me today, but I suppose I’ve had worse.

On to the music.

Disc 698 is…. Made in Heaven
Artist: Queen

Year of Release: 1995

What’s up with the Cover? The silhouette of the dearly departed Freddie Mercury, raising a triumphant fist as he welcomes the hereafter – here portrayed as the sunset on a lake. This is Freddie’s last hurrah, so he is depicted alone, but the band is with him if you fold out the rest of the photo:
I love the full picture. Freddie’s journey is over, and after a lengthy illness he now has calm seas and smooth sailing in front of him. The rest of the band still have mountains to conquer because for them life goes on.

How I Came To Know It: I love Queen, so this was just me drilling through their collection. I got this one fairly late; it was hard to find and I eventually just broke down and ordered it on Amazon. Amazon is a dangerous service for a music collector – it is just too damned easy. Fortunately, my desire to support local record stores exceeds my desire to have everything NOW. Support your local record store, people!

How It Stacks Up:  I have 15 Queen albums and sadly I must put “Made in Heaven” at the bottom of the pile, at 15th.

Rating: 2 stars

The cover of “Made in Heaven” sums the album up – Freddie is apart from the band now, but not forgotten. Ordinarily I don’t like posthumous publication, but Freddie wanted the music to go on, and I guess the band weren’t quite ready to do that without him.

Unfortunately a lot of the magic is missing from this album. There are still some great moments, including Freddie’s voice, which despite his terrible illness still has a power and a purity few vocalists will ever possess. Coupled with the echoing production decisions, it sounds even more orchestral than usual.

Freddie was a key architect of Queen’s music when he was alive, and his finishing touch on these songs is notably absent. Songs like “Let Me Live” and “Heaven for Everyone” begin with great promise, but they feel like they don’t go anywhere. They just keep soaring and repeating themselves. At best, they feel like the big finale wrap-up of a Broadway musical, which strung together are just too much theatre and not enough music.

The organ-heavy sound feels at times like the bad production decisions of the mid- to late eighties as well. I know Queen went in for the big sound on their last three records, but here it tips into excess.

I think songs featuring the singing voice of Brian May or Roger Taylor would have provided some nice contrast with Mercury’s vocals, as they do on many other Queen albums. The record could definitely have used more of May’s guitar virtuosity.

The one standout song is “Too Much Love Will Kill You,” which finds Freddie delivering an introspective and sad tale of loss. The song resonates on its own, independent of the fact that there is no way to listen to it – or any other song on “Made in Heaven” – without thinking about the incredible loss the world suffered when Mercury was taken from us too soon. It’s a Brian May (and others) composition, but Freddie brings it alive.

It is fitting that even the tragedy on this album is the result of a surfeit of love, rather than a lack of it. It feels like Queen can pull triumphant out of any situation on this record. For that reason, I’ve tried to mute my criticism of what is really a pretty average record.

But I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t say that even better tracks like “Made in Heaven” sound derivative of earlier work. It is a deliberate decision in places, but it doesn’t mean I like it. With the exception of “Too Much Love Will Kill You” most of the lyrics don’t resonate, and the music isn’t at the awesome level you expect from a Queen album.

For me, “Innuendo” is the more fitting tribute to the late and exceedingly great Freddie Mercury. I suppose the band just wanted the show to go on one more time. Who could blame them?


Best tracks: Made in Heaven, Too Much Love Will Kill You, It’s A Beautiful Day (Reprise)

No comments: