Wednesday, January 14, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 696: Billy Bragg

This is the second album in a row that has an ampersand in the title. Why Bruce and Billy? You are both literate people – there is another way. Use your words.

Disc 696 is…. Tooth & Nail
Artist: Billy Bragg

Year of Release: 2013

What’s up with the Cover? Billy and his guitar, still on that long walk toward wisdom. Bragg has transformed seamlessly from young rebel with a guitar to guy you wish was your dad – still with a guitar.

How I Came To Know It: I saw Bragg on his tour for this album. I didn’t actually own it then (which is why I didn’t review it at the time) but my buddy Nick bought it and played me a few tracks. I really liked those, as well as the concert, so went out and bought it. It has since inspired me to more than double my Billy Bragg collection.

How It Stacks Up:  Not counting his work with Wilco on “Mermaid Avenue,” I have eight Billy Bragg albums – I had six just a month ago, but I’m now at the point where I’m only really missing one I still want (that would be 2008’s “Mr. Love and Justice”). Of the eight, “Tooth & Nail” holds up beautifully – I’ll put it 3rd or 4th.

Rating: 4 stars

It is always exciting when a long established artist delivers an album that is as good as anything he made in his so called heyday; that is what Billy Bragg has accomplished on “Tooth & Nail.”

“Tooth & Nail” sees Bragg’s brand of protest folk rock settling comfortably into middle age. This is usually a death knell, when an artist loses the edge that made them so compelling. That doesn’t happen here. Instead, we find Bragg with just as many important things to say, saying them just as brilliantly.

What has changed is Bragg’s delivery, which is softer both vocally and on the guitar. The rough percussion-driven guitar playing has become more nuanced, still delivering an emotional charge at just the right time, but without feeling like he’s about to snap a string. It lets Bragg put more energy into gentle playing, as he trips through bass note walk-downs and idle plucking with the ease of someone taking a stroll through a flower garden.

Bragg’s voice is also quieter and his signature English accent even seems subdued for the first time. I found this allowed me to appreciate what a fine vocalist he is more than ever before – even making me go back and hear his early work with fresh and eager ears.

Lyrically, this is still Bragg at his finest, alternate between touching love songs and staunch and unyielding social commentary.

On the love song front, “Handyman Blues” is a modern day classic. It instantly spoke to me with its narrative of someone who admits he isn’t very handy around the house, but instead appeals to his other qualities as a mate:

“Don’t be expecting me to put up shelves
Or build a garden shed
But I can write a song that tells the world
How much I love you instead
I’m not any good at pottery
But let’s lose a ‘t’ and just shift back the ‘e’
And I’ll find a way to make my poetry
Build a roof over our heads.”

As someone who is also terrible at home repairs, and pays the bills with the written word (albeit less creatively at this point) this song held a deep appeal.

On the unyielding social commentary, Bragg ably tackles homelessness (“I Ain’t Got No Home”) and intolerance (“There Will Be A Reckoning”). Most of all, I like the way “Tooth & Nail” blends big messages with an obvious love for the human race in general. He does so without ever becoming preachy, even on “Do Unto Others” where he is literally referencing the bible.

My favourite song on the album has Bragg making an appeal to uncertainty. “No One Knows Nothing Anymore” is both an admission of fallibility and a clever call to action. Bragg starts with what I think is a reference to the Higgs Boson particle:

“Deep down in the underground
Atoms spinning round and round
Scientists monitor readings
Searching for the Holy Grail:
The particle – or at least a trail –
Of the one that gives the Universe its meaning.”

This is the second song from 2013 about the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle (Nick Cave does a song called “Higgs Boson Blues” on his “Push the Sky Away” album). Bragg uses the Higgs Boson to preach uncertainty, going on to sing:

“But what if there’s nothing?
No big answers to find?
What if we’re just passing through time?

“No one knows nothing anymore
Nobody really knows the score
Since nobody knows anything
Let’s break it down and start again.”

What I love about this song is how Bragg takes not knowing as an opportunity to rebuild our assumptions. The song isn’t constructed to create dread. It soars melodically as Bragg slips into a run of unanswered questions on not just science, but economics and later philosophy itself. He ends each chorus on a musical upstroke to generate a sense of triumph, not dread.

“Tooth & Nail” reveals Bragg to be an optimist and a humanist, to go along with his activism. This in no way diminishes his quest for justice; if anything it makes that quest more believable and real. What the answer is or how we get there can be a matter of debate. As long as we’re out there practicing the golden rule and standing up for each other along the way, Bragg figures we’ll be going in the right direction. As he reminds us on the final verse of the album’s final song:

“Don’t be disheartened baby, don’t be fooled,
Take it from someone who knows: the glass is half full
Tomorrow’s going to be a better day
No matter what the siren voices say
Tomorrow’s going to be a better day
We’re going to make it that way.”

This album just makes me feel good about the world, or at the very least feel good about the possibilities for the world, which can often be enough.


Best tracks: No One Knows Nothing Anymore, Handyman Blues, I Aint’ Got No Home, Swallow My Pride, There Will be a Reckoning, Tomorrow’s Going to be a Better Day

No comments: