Sunday, March 9, 2014

CD Odyssey: The First 600

As has become tradition, when I reach a milestone I do a quick summary - and 600 posts seems like a milestone to me.

If you don't like reading about milestones, then scroll down to see my 600th review, which is of a Blue Rodeo album.

In terms of highlights, 11 of the last 100 albums achieved five star ratings, which is about on pace for the whole Odyssey (once your sample size reaches a certain size, variations on percentages become rarer and rarer).  The recent standouts were:

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
Blue Oyster Cult - Spectres
Leonard Cohen - Songs
Blue Rodeo - Five Days in July
Leonard Cohen - Songs From a Room
Beck - Guero
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
REM - Automatic For The People
Johnny Cash - Live at San Quentin
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

If I could go back, I might drop Bowie down to four stars - I get a lot of those songs popping up on my MP3 player on random and I skip them more than I'd like to admit, but it could be you just need to hear that record in order to grok it in its fullness.

Two albums were sold. The first was Interpol's "Antics" which although it achieved two stars, just didn't grab me enough to stay in the collection.

The second was Frank Zappa's "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" which achieved one star, and I was likely being charitable. Fortunately I didn't give up on Zappa and I've since bought "Joe's Garage" and like it quite a bit.

In terms of most reviewed it is still the same three artists (Alice Cooper with 20, Tom Waits with 13 and Steve Earle with 12). Strangely, I haven't had a single review of any of these artists in the last 100 albums. KISS has caught up again to Steve Earle with 12 as well.

Now I'm off to randomly determine what album will be review number 601. Yeehaw!

No comments: