Thursday, March 13, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 602: Trooper

Upon recently buying my third Eric B. & Rakim album, I decided I could live without an earlier “20th Century Masters” greatest hits record by the same band. When I got my fourth studio album by Nazareth, I let go of my compilation album “the Primo Collection” (reviewed back at Disc 254) as well.

There’s no danger of me ever buying a bunch of studio albums by this next band, but I still appreciate owning a greatest hits package.

Disc 602 is….Hot Shots
Artist: Trooper

Year of Release: 1979 but with music from 1975 to 1978

What’s up with the Cover? Someone’s been taking some…hot shots! On vinyl this cover was one of my favourites because the bullet holes were actually holes in the cover, that you could put your fingers through. When you opened up the front cover, you could see a second target where the ‘bullet holes’ lined up with stars as impact points (I think).

The CD version of this cover is considerably less cool, seeing as it features a giant “Compact Disc/Compact Price” built right into the label. I imagine when I bought this “compact price” was about twice what that means now.

How I Came To Know It: For the second review in a row, my brother owned this album on vinyl and I probably borrowed it from him originally before buying the CD years ago in a fit of nostalgia.

How It Stacks Up:  This is a ‘best of’ album so doesn’t stack up. It is also my only Trooper album, so it wouldn’t stack up anyway.

Rating:  no rating – ‘best of’ albums don’t get rated.

I struggled at first with how to characterize seventies Canadian rock icons Trooper before settling on the expression ‘boat rock’.

My friend Kate recently introduced me to the hilarity of the Youtube series “Yacht Rock” which fictitiously chronicles the lives of late seventies/early eighties schmaltz like the Doobie Brothers and Kenny Loggins. With their light riffs and smooth style Trooper seems to fit the bill here, but they are a bit rougher around the edges. They are more like a small-town Canada version of those acts. It isn’t music for the country club so much as music for summertime cook outs. For putting on your jean-short cutoffs and sitting in a vinyl-strap lawnchair, feet up on the cooler so the next beer will be in easy reach. ‘Boat rock’ is the right sentiment, maybe even ‘aluminum boat rock’ if you’re actually going fishing as opposed to just up the lake for a swim.

Like a boat trip up the lake, Trooper is not my favourite music but I grew up with it, and there is an easy familiarity about their sound. It is easy and breezy, and the songs have pretty little melodies and guitar riffs which are simple but fun, and get your toes tapping. I like them a lot more than their yacht rock cousins, in the same way that I’m a lot more at ease with my feet on a cooler than I would be on a cruise ship or sailboat.

These songs were big in my early youth, where Trooper got a lot of airplay on Canadian radio. Whether that was a CanCon thing doesn’t really matter – the music was up tempo and fun. Even the ballads seemed carefree. You can tell that Trooper wanted to have a harder edge to their sound, but it is never as tough as they want it to be. These guys raise hell for sure, but only a little of it.

Lyrically, this stuff is a bit ridiculous. Mostly it is the usual ‘I love a girl’ stuff, and when they do try bigger subjects (like the arrival of pilgrims on “Santa Maria”) it comes off kitschy and forced. I guess it’s just too big a boat.

I particularly enjoy “The Boys In the Bright White Sports Car” which is about little more than a couple guys driving down a street in a nice ride. There is an implication that the song might be about master thieves (“the car is probably stolen”) but given that it is being piloted by ‘Jack of All Trades Stan” and “Gerry, the Garbage Man” it is more likely a bunch of buddies on a wild weekend trip in Vegas. The worst trouble these guys will get into is a fistfight and a night in the drunk-tank.

The lyrics of “General Hand Grenade” are exceptionally bad:

“Good old General Hand Grenade
Ridin' in a motorcade
Sippin' on a lemonade
And waving at his fans

“Isabella Band Aid
Wavin' at the Shrine parade
Eatin' toast and marmalade
And getting sticky hand”

My best guess is that this is about the worst parade ever, but it really seems to be more of a pointless exercise to see how many words rhyme with ‘grenade.’ Despite this, the song’s tune is so catchy I always find myself singing along regardless

Trooper had a good career through the seventies, having five multi-platinum albums in Canada (none bigger than “Hot Shots” which I think every Canadian over forty has owned at some time in their lives). They never achieved the same success in the U.S. (their biggest hit, “Raise A Little Hell,” barely registered on US charts) and that’s a shame given how much joy they created north of the border.

It is a testament that 10 years after the songs on “Hot Shots” were first recorded they were still being played in heavy rotation at my high school dances. People were still jumping around to “Raise A Little Hell” and doubling down on their slow dances to “Two For the Show.”

Trooper were here for a good time, if not a long time, and for all my gentle mocking of their music, there is no denying they’ve helped the sun shine a little brighter at many a beach-side picnic table in their day.


Best tracks: The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car, Two For the Show, We’re Here for a Good Time, Raise a Little Hell

No comments: