Sunday, March 16, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 603: Belle and Sebastian

I’m out of bed later than planned after a Saturday spent with friends where the fun started early and went late. I am now paying a bit for the fun that was had, but I regret nothing.

Disc 603 is….The Life Pursuit
Artist: Belle and Sebastian

Year of Release: 2006

What’s up with the Cover? Three young women. This cover is not much to look at, but inside the three women are dressed up in school uniforms with very short plaid skirts. I recommend this approach for all musicians – it is definitely better than a bunch of band photos.

How I Came To Know It: I was already a fan of Belle and Sebastian and though I don’t religiously buy their records I got this one after I heard a couple of the same songs on Stuart Murdoch’s 2009 side project, “God Help the Girl.”

How It Stacks Up:  This is a strong Belle and Sebastian album. It is equal to “Boy with the Arab Strap” but very different in style. I’m going to put it third out of the five albums I own but really it is in a statistical tie with “Arab Strap”.

And since this is the last review of Belle and Sebastian in my collection (at least for now) here’s the full list.

  1. If You’re Feeling Sinister: 5 stars (reviewed at Disc 591)
  2. The Boy With the Arab Strap: 4 stars (reviewed at Disc 540)
  3. The Life Pursuit: 4 stars (reviewed right here)
  4. Write About Love: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 301)
  5. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant: 2 stars (reviewed at Disc 61)
Rating:  4 stars

As a rule, Belle and Sebastian can be a bit pale and wan but on “The Life Pursuit” they lighten up both musically and lyrically.

Gone are songs about having a stroke at the age of 24, or being raped in the chalet lines, and instead we have “Another Sunny Day” and “Funny Little Frog” that are as whimsical and carefree as their titles suggest.

Funny Little Frog” is one of the two songs that also appears on “God Help the Girl” (the other being “Act of the Apostle II”).  It is interesting to hear these songs sung by a man, and the arrangements are sufficiently different to keep them fresh. That said, I prefer the versions on “God Help the Girl.” Maybe it is because I like them sung in a female voice (Belle and Sebastian songs tend to be pretty high in the register) or maybe it is just that I heard the remakes before I heard the originals.

There is plenty on “The Life Pursuit” to love, however. The album is up-tempo and it gets your head nodding along. I was caught at least a couple of times playing air guitar or slapping my thigh while waiting at a red light when a particularly upbeat song came on.

The album paints little pictures that create a feeling of nostalgia before the experience is even over. It is like the band knows that the everyday experiences we have now will magnify and seem that much more important later in life. Last night Sheila and I were looking through her old high school yearbooks. Seeing yearbook pictures always brings back a flood of very specific memories even when it isn’t your yearbook. Listening to “The Life Pursuit” had a similar effect on me.

Even though I have no direct knowledge about what these songs are about, they are so cleverly constructed they feel like my own stories. Also for a band that has been around as long as Belle and Sebastian have been (ten years at the time this album came out) they have an exceptional capacity for capturing what youth feels like in all its joyful abandon. The record reminds me that spending our youth carelessly isn’t wasteful, it’s liberating.

Musically, the song structures reminded me strongly of later Beatles, minus all the drug-inspired nonsense lyrics. Instead, we get clear pictures of characters like young Sukie, who likes to hang out in the graveyard and attend art school, or all the various characters (brokers, nurses and drunks) passing through Mornington Crescent.

There are other influences as well, including the ubiquitous (to indie music) homages to sixties folk pop, a little bit of Motown and on one song (“Song for Sunshine”) even some funk that wouldn’t be out of place on an early Red Hot Chili Peppers album.

This record didn’t really teach me anything but it lightened my heart and put a smile on my face every time I played it – something I’ll be doing a lot more in the future.

Best tracks: Another Sunny Day, Dress Up In You, Sukie in the Graveyard, Funny Little Frog, Act of the Apostle II, For the Price of a Cup of Tea, Mornington Crescent

No comments: