Sunday, April 7, 2013

CD Odyssey: The First 500

Five hundred posts!

As is my wont, I like to stop every hundred discs and take stock of how things are going. A little snapshot along the journey.  If you don't want a little snapshot, that's fine too - just scroll down and check out my 500th review, which is for Hawksley Workman's album "Lover/Fighter."

For those still with us, the past one hundred albums held true form with the majority of the albums achieving ratings of either three stars (37) or four stars (30).  Ten albums got rated with a full five stars, so if you're looking for the highlights here they are:

Indigo Girls - Self Titled
Steve Earle - Exit 0
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart
Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Pearl Jam - Yield
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
The Decemberists - The King is Dead
Kiss - Love Gun

Only one album achieved the lowly one star, and that was Radiohead's "Amnesiac."  Sheila said I could sell it, but it seemed wrong to break up the set, so I'm keeping it with a stern reminder to myself not to play it again for a long time.

I also gave away one album after I reviewed it, a collection of Charlie Parker songs.  Talented guy, but I just couldn't get into it, and I'm tired of pretending I can.

One hundred albums ago, Alice Cooper had the most reviews with 14, Tom Waits was second with 11 and Steve Earle and Queen were tied for third with 10.

Cooper has built on his lead, as I have now reviewed a whopping 20 of his albums.  Tom Waits is still second with 13 now and Steve Earle now sits alone in third with 12.  In case your wondering what I have a lot of in my collection, there's at least part of your answer.


No comments: