Sunday, April 14, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 503: Capercaillie


I’ve had a mostly fun weekend, although yesterday I badly pulled my quad muscle playing Ultimate.  In hindsight, it was cold, and I should’ve warmed up a bit more than I did.  I’m not getting any younger.  I’m going to take it easy this week with fingers crossed I’m ready to go next Saturday.

As for music reviews, no leg muscles are required so I’m ready to go right now.

Disc 503 is… Beautiful Wasteland
Artist: Capercaillie

Year of Release: 1997

What’s up with the Cover?  Capercaillie seated in some warm climate (likely Spain, given the liner notes).  The band is displaying an exceptionally wide range of terrible fashion decisions, from the reflective aviator sunglasses to Karen Matheson’s ill-considered footwear.  The whole scene is viewed through some sort of James Bond tracking circle, apparently composed of barf.  On the plus side the royal blue background is nice.

How I Came To Know It:  This was just me digging through Capercaillie’s library.  I bought this album fairly late, I think at the same time I bought the previous year’s release, “To The Moon” which is a far superior effort.

How It Stacks Up:  I have nine Capercaillie albums, which isn’t all of their work, but is certainly a lot of it.  “Beautiful Wasteland” is either at or near the bottom, so 8th or 9th.

Rating:  2 stars but almost 3

I imagine a beautiful wasteland would be stark yet inspiring; like a desert or a lonely heath.  In this context, “Beautiful Wasteland” is a poorly titled album, because it is overpopulated with extraneous sounds that inspire only intermittently.

The album is a mix of traditional Celtic arrangements, world beats (North African traditional chants) and new age production.  The band claims that the chants from Guinea form a ‘natural marriage” with their music which I think is true rhythmically, but otherwise jarring to the overall mood. 

If that is your thing, then “Beautiful Wasteland” is going to make you very happy, but if you’re looking for contemporary Celtic folk music in a more pure form (as I was) then the album is going to be maddeningly unfocused.

Fortunately, Charlie McKerron is one of the world’s finest fiddle players, and his work will always inspire.  That said he shouldn’t have to work so hard to be heard.  On “The Tree” – an updated traditional song – he manages to rise above the sort of new age mood the band surrounds his work with.  The fiddle melody in this song is awesome but I wanted to hear more of it.  The way the song is arranged it always felt like he was getting cut off before he got going.  Still, even a little Charlie is worth the price of admission.

On songs like “A Mur Gorm” the band’s other star, vocalist Karen Matheson, contends with the same challenges. The song, which translates as “The Blue Rampart,” is a beautiful mood piece but it needs a little more wasteland to be perfect.  It has too many odd piano flourishes or strangely placed bits of flute whimsy.  Some of this would be OK (anyone who has heard overly didactic folk music will know that you can go just as badly wrong in the other direction).  I would have done just a little less if I’d been in the studio with them.

The lyrics to “A Mur Gorm” are beautiful and awkward in that way translations can sometimes be.  Here are the first two verses, first in Gaelic.  FYI, the Cuillins are a series of mountains on the Isle of Skye:

“Mur b'e thusa bhiodh an Cuilithionn
'Na mhur eagarra gorm
Ag crioslachadh le bhalla-criche
Na tha 'nam chridhe borb

“Mur b'e thusa bhiodh a'ghaineamh
Tha'n Talasgar dumhail geal
'Na clar biothbuan do mo dhuilean
Air nach tilleadh an run-ghath”

And then translated:

“But for you the Cuillin would be
An exact and serrated blue rampart
Girdling with its march-wall
All that is in my barbarous heart

“But for you the sand
That is in Talisker, compact and white
Would be a measureless plain to my expectations
And on it the spear desire would not turn back”

Now this is how you do romance.  Also, while Talisker is no doubt a place, it is also a Scotch.  If I was pining for my anxious and yearning lover to scale some mountain peaks with a spear of desire, it would be great to have some single malt while I waited.

Less enjoyable is “Shelter,” which is apparently about some more modern societal malaise but it is hard to figure out exactly what it is about.  Also I found the mixed metaphor in the chorus to be distracting:

“This ain’t no ark of Noah
No mockery of history
A taxi ride to nowhere
Just a drifting boat at sea.”

If you’re going to go with the Noah’s ark/drifting boat analogy I wish you all the best, but don’t confuse it with a taxi ride to nowhere, which is quite a different thing thematically.  The song itself seems equally forced, with a chord progression that I think is designed to make you feel uneasy but just comes across as awkward.

Not so “Hebridean Halle-Bopp” which takes its inspiration from the passage of the comet Halle-Bopp the year “Beautiful Wasteland” came out.  While I have no idea what the lyrics are about, the tune captures the energy and cosmic connectedness of the event.

The album ends on a high note, with “Sardinia” a song written by McKerron that has a gorgeous ear-worm of a fiddle reel within it.  At this stage of their careers Capercaillie will never settle for just a fine fiddle reel, and there are more new age production elements thrown in as well.  Here they work, tastefully serving the song and letting the fiddle cut across the top, like it is designed to do.

Overall this record is uneven and in places strained.  At 56 minutes of playing time, I think it might have benefited from cutting a couple of the lesser tracks.  That said, it has moments of greatness and even a lesser Capercaillie album is better than most of the contemporary folk music out there right now.  I won’t be selling this album, even though I’ll likely be continuing to give my other Capercaillie albums more time in the rotation.

Best tracks:  M’Ionam, The Tree, Am Mur Gorm, Hebridean Halle-Bopp, Sardinia

No comments: