Thursday, April 18, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 505: D.O.A. and Thor


On the heels of my Jim Cuddy review comes two more Canadian bands, although these ones are not quite as likely to have the same influence on the future of music.

Disc 505 is… Are U Ready “(sheesh – you spelled ‘are’ – you can’t spell ‘you’ while you’re at it?)


Artist: D.O.A. and Thor

Year of Release: 2003

What’s up with the Cover?  Presumably the two bands dug out some old photos and put them on the cover.  D.O.A. look like they are ready for a hockey riot and Thor looks like the God of Thunder, which is pretty much his thing.

How I Came To Know It:  I don’t remember.  I think I was digging around the bargain bin at some record shop and when I saw this I couldn’t resist buying it, even though I knew it was not going to be very good.

How It Stacks Up:  Shockingly, this is the only pairing of D.O.A. and Thor I have in my collection.  Of my three Thor albums, this one is probably in the middle, but it is my only D.O.A. album of any kind.

Rating:  2 stars because I’m feeling charitable

As I mentioned in the “How I Came To Know It Section” I knew when I paid some of my hard-earned money for this album that it wasn’t going to overwhelm me artistically.  D.O.A. is a fun Canadian punk act, and Thor is one of my metal favourites from adolescence but the main draw here is the weird amalgam of the two of them on a single album.

Marketed right on the CD case as “incredible sporting tunes!” this was apparently an album meant to inspire you to think of the music you hear between plays at a hockey game.  Of course, it presupposes that sports stadiums don’t shill out a bit of money to play actual hits for the crowd which – even at local WHL games – they thankfully do.

Still, if they were to play these D.O.A. and Thor songs instead I don’t think I’d mind terribly.  Do we really need to hear “Cotton Eyed Joe” and ACDC’s “Thunderstruck” one more time when we could get some truly Canadian kitsch instead?

The twelve songs on “Are U Ready” are evenly divided between Thor and D.O.A. although most of the Thor songs have D.O.A. playing with his band.  They may both be ‘incredible sporting tunes!’ but they approach the challenge very differently.

The D.O.A. tracks made me really appreciate these guys, who are like the poor, northerly cousins of the Dropkick Murphys.  Based on this record, I prefer the boys from Boston (The Murphys 2003 album was the amazing “Blackout” but in D.O.A.’s defence they’ve been doing this stuff a lot longer and still sound pretty good).

Anyway, the songs are a mix of punk and Canadian rock, and are mostly about playing rough hockey.  Titles like “Give ‘Em the Lumber” and “Beat ‘Em, Bust ‘Em” pretty much sum up the experience.  One (“Overtime”) even features a sample of the Hockey Night in Canada anthem.  These songs are not great but they put a smile on my face and made me appreciate my country’s national sport that much more.  The best line, from “Beat ‘Em, Bust ‘Em,” is “drop the gloves, pop ‘em in the beak.”  I’m pretty sure popping someone in the beak is a uniquely Canadian expression – and a damned fine one at that.

Beyond giving me a laugh and a good time, I didn’t love the D.O.A. tracks but it did make me want to hear more of their early stuff, which I have a suspicion I’m going to like.

Before I comment on the Thor songs, I should mention that I absolutely loved this guy back in the eighties.  The albums “Keep the Dogs Away” (1977) and “Only the Strong” (1985) were staples in the music rotation (my brother has both on vinyl).  “Only the Strong” is still a guilty pleasure.

With that admission out of the way, I have to say the Thor songs on “Are U Ready” are not great.  They are not even about hockey – with 2003 seeing him still mired in his ‘create a new mythology’ phase.

One of the songs, “Triumphant” is a repeat from his solo album of the same name (reviewed way back at Disc 218) and is passable enough, with a pretty good knuckle-dragging metal riff, but a lot of this stuff is derivative of his work twenty years earlier.

In fact another track, “The Challenge” sounds largely like a repeat of one of his mid-eighties songs “Rock the City.” This is made worse by the fact that he puts a live version of “Rock the City” right on “Are U Ready” just in case it might have slipped by you.  Both the new song and the live remake sound like they are recorded in a tin can.

I’m probably harder on the Thor songs because after so many years of remembering him kindly I wanted him to be better, whereas D.O.A. was kind of new to me but the truth is this album was never intended to be great art, it was intended to be a good time.  By advertising itself as the kind of music you’ll hear in arenas, it sets the bar for success pretty low but at least it delivers as promised.

Most of all I got the sense that these two Vancouver bands had a genuinely good time putting this together and that counts for something.  It is mindless, but it is mindless fun, and although it warrants being sold, I’m keeping it on that basis.

Best tracks:  Are U Ready, Beat ‘Em Bust ‘Em, I Am Canadian

No comments: