Wednesday, September 19, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 440: Crash Vegas


I’m on an embarrassing run of broken jewel cases.  This next album not only has broken tines for holding the CD in, but the cover hinge is also broken.  Definitely in need of replacement, and a black mark for someone like me who prides himself on taking care of his music collection.  Not in this case, it would seem.

Disc 440 is… Aurora
Artist: Crash Vegas

Year of Release: 1995

What’s up with the Cover?  The giant head cover – only with two heads!  One of the heads is obscured by hands, but fortunately it isn’t singer Michelle McAdorey, who is quite a fetching lass, in that pixie-haired mid-nineties kind of way.

How I Came To Know It: I think I heard these guys singing “Pocahontas” in a video and really liked it.  At the time I had no idea it was a Neil Young remake.  That’s no crime, though; the more I learn about music the more I realize how little I know.  This is a good thing, because it means there are many discoveries still out there waiting.

How It Stacks Up:  Crash Vegas released three albums in the early nineties, but I only have this one, so it doesn’t really stack up.

Rating:  3 stars

There was plenty of good Canadian university music in the early nineties, or maybe it’s just that I was in university, so I remember it favourably.  Whatever the case, somewhere along the way I got onto the atmospheric folk/rock mix of Crash Vegas long enough to buy this album – their last before the band would go its separate ways.

Atmospheric is the first word that comes to mind with these guys.  The production reminded me strongly of Daniel Lanois, although not as good.  Imagine, then, my self-satisfaction when I found that Lanois’ sister, Jocelyne played bass on the record.  I can only assume Daniel and Jocelyne were raised in Atlantis, because whatever they touch gets this waves n’ water vibe.

Singer Michelle McAdorey isn’t just a distinctly pretty face; she’s got a distinctly pretty voice to match.  Her voice makes me think of those awkwardly shy but attractive pretty indie girls that you fall in love with late at a house party.  Or maybe a changeling pretending to be that girl to lure you out into the depths of the overgrown garden out back and steal you off to faerie land.  Both visions are equally pleasant.  Whatever it is, her breathy delivery doesn’t overpower you, but she still manages to stay above the band’s layers of production without ever sounding like she’s straining to do it.

The rest of the musicians didn’t stand out for me, but that is more a decision in the arrangements, which don’t call for a lot of noodling or displays of virtuosity.  Crash Vegas is a band that is much more in the modern folk-indie style, where a series of simple parts are played together to make an interesting layer of sound, but no one instrument dominates.

The downside to this is that the songs can tend to blend together, and the record loses some dynamics.  It’s also a bit overlong at sixty minutes, reminding me of when CDs started fully replacing LPs, and artists stopped being so vicious about leaving lesser tracks on the cutting room floor.

Musically these songs are introspective, get-in-touch-with-your-feelings numbers.  They are best suited for head phones, preferably with a small helping of self-loathing.  I don’t always know what they’re singing about - some of the stuff is a bit too creative writing workshop for my tastes – but they capture tone and mood well, and that’s the first thing music’s got to do to be successful.

A case in point is “Weekend.”  I don’t know what this song is about, but when McAdorey sings “It’s my weekend/I feel good” it reminds me of how jealously we guard our weekends when we’ve got little else.  It’s a fragile yet defiant expression that no matter how broke or lonely you might be, the weekend is yours.  I think it’s about some other stuff as well but again, the clouds of poetry workshop obscurity were too much for my ears to penetrate.

Not so obscure is “Clinic” a brilliant and emotionally terrifying description of a trip to an abortion clinic.  I’m not qualified to comment on what that must feel like, but I can better appreciate it because of this song’s stark and thoughtful lyrics.  These are paired with a single reverberating electric guitar that sounds desperately like it wants to be acoustic.  I love when electric guitars do that.

Aurora” isn’t all depressing though, and the few up-tempo songs are a welcome break.  “On and On (Lodestar),” “Old Enough” and “Scarborough” all kick it up a notch, and all three are favourites of mine on the record.  I do have to point out that “Scarborough” ends with a minute of recorded silence, and then another minute of electric guitars making whale songs.  It is a sad decision on an otherwise rockin’ track.

And of course, there’s “Pocahontas,” the remake of the Neil Young classic.  Crash Vegas so perfectly own this song that I was shocked pink to find it wasn’t actually their song.  I love Neil’s version as well, but Crash Vegas’ is so different I appreciate it just as much.  They strip the hippy sound right out of it and fill it with university pub-performance (the good kind, not the ‘please put the canned music back on’ kind).

This album drags a little in places, but it is mostly solid, with not a few stand outs.  With only three albums – and the last of those over fifteen years ago – Crash Vegas hasn’t survived in the public consciousness the way they deserve.  This record does sound very much of its time, but it stands up well in the present as well, and I was glad to get reacquainted with it for the umpteenth time.

Best tracks:  On and On (Lodestar), Weekend, Old Enough, Clinic, Pocahontas, Scarborough

No comments: