Monday, September 17, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 439: Alice Cooper


This next record isn’t my favourite, and it doesn’t help that the plastic tines that the CD in place in the jewel case are broken.  Man, I hate that.  If I played this album more, I’d replace the case, but instead I’ll probably put it back on the shelf and forget it’s broken until the next time I take it down and have the disc bounce out of there as I impotently curse our disposable culture all over again.

Disc 439 is… The Eyes of Alice Cooper
Artist: Alice Cooper

Year of Release: 2003

What’s up with the Cover?  A masked Alice Cooper shows off old school makeup from his early days.  Of note, this album cover came with a variety of different colours for the eyes – I have the red one, but I think you can get blue and green as well.  I’ll stick with the one, unless I happen to find another one on the cheap somewhere.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve known Alice Cooper since I was a young boy, and this album is just me doing what I do; drilling through his complete discography.  When I find an artist I like this much, I tend to by every album they make.

How It Stacks Up:  The whole ‘buy every album they make’ is generally successful, but it isn’t foolproof.  I have twenty-six studio albums by Alice Cooper and “The Eyes of…” is one of my least favourites.  I’ll put it 25th out of 26.  Yes, there is room for worse, but precious little of it.

Rating:  2 stars

The cover of this record may feature Cooper’s old-school makeup, and he may think he’s returning to his hard rock roots, but the truth is this record was a major disappointment for me.

Cooper’s songwriting is a skill that has never left him, drunk or sober, but over the years he has occasionally shown a Kool & the Gang-like propensity to embrace whatever is going on in the music scene at that particular moment.  This can deliver some surprisingly groovy stuff – he delivers Cooper-disco tracks on “Alice Cooper Goes to Hell” and Cooper-new wave on “Flush the Fashion.” His mid-eighties metal records aren’t his most inspiring work, but as eighties metal goes, it delivers.

On “Eyes” Cooper builds a very unfortunate chimera indeed, combining a Nu-Metal sound with song construction very similar to later Green Day.  Nu-Metal never sounded good from the beginning, and anything remotely reminiscent of it suffers; Cooper’s take is no exception.  Later Green Day is a good sound, but only Green Day seems to be able to pull it off; everything else comes off as the pop/punk equivalent of Creed trying to sound like Pearl Jam.

In fact the song, “Between High School & Old School” prominently features a riff that is almost identical to Green Day’s 2000 song, “Minority.”  The title of the song sums up the problem with this record, which seems to be trying to look back on Cooper’s early career, and instead comes off as dated and out of step.  “What Do You Want from Me?” even features a line about an XBOX.  Game consoles have a very limited shelf-life, so it is usually a bad idea to reference them in music, especially if you are over fifty when you do it.

The oft-tapped well of sappy love ballads is represented with “Be With You Awhile” and it is OK, but it can’t hold a candle to classics like “Only Women Bleed” and “You and Me.”  It does display that Cooper still has vocal chops, so I’ll give it that, but in most ways it is a pale imitation of previous greats that said “I love you” so much better.

So questionable production, and derivative licks and topics – what’s to like about this record?  Well as I noted earlier, Cooper’s songwriting talent shines through, and he has a real knack for collaborating on that front with other musicians.  Bob Ezrin is long gone, but Cooper always manages to patch something passable together, even in his weakest moments.

Detroit City” is a retrospective where Cooper goes back over his place in rock history, and names lots of legends (Iggy Pop, MC5, Ziggy Stardust) to put a smile on an aging rock fan’s face (full disclosure:  I am an aging rock fan).  The song also captures Cooper’s sneer-driven vocals which he so perfectly pairs with show-tune excess.  There’s even an out-of-control saxophone thrown in during the fade out (and a fade out).

 “Love Should Never Feel Like This” is a sappy eighties power track, but it is a rare exception on the record, with good production decisions, and reminded me of the better aspects of Cooper’s hair-metal days on “Trash” and “HeyStoopid.”  Of course, those weren’t his best days either, so let’s just move on.

My guilty pleasure (OK – my second guilty pleasure after “Detroit City”) on this record is “The Song That Didn’t Rhyme” which is mostly a series of very clever lyrics about penning a bad song and then marketing it anyway.  The chorus is deeply ironic:

“Oh the melody blows
In a key that no one can find.
The lyrics don’t flow.
But I can’t get it out of my mind.”

Because the melody is quite nice and yes (in case you didn’t notice) it does rhyme –quite cleverly throughout the song in fact.  It ends with:

“A three minute waste of your time
No redeeming value of any kind
But thanks for the $12.99
On the song that didn’t rhyme.”

This song was nothing special but it left a smile on my face.  It is the 11th track on the album, and it is a shame Cooper doesn’t end it here, on a high note.  Instead he tacks on a couple more unmemorable tracks that make the record a little too long and a little too lame.

Still, Alice has given me a lot of love over the years, and he even thanked me for the $12.99.  You’re welcome, Alice.

Best tracks:  Novocaine, Detroit City, The Song That Didn’t Rhyme

No comments: