Thursday, September 13, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 438: Steve Earle


After completing a couple of artists in consecutive weeks, we return to what usually happens on the CD Odyssey:  a Steve Earle review.

I’ve had an eventful week, and a little Steve Earle has been just what the doctor ordered to calm my troubled nerves.

Disc 438 is… Transcendental Blues
Artist: Steve Earle

Year of Release: 2000

What’s up with the Cover?  Another Tony Fitzpatrick art piece.  Steve Earle loves this guy but as long-time readers will know, I don’t.  This isn’t his worst, which isn’t saying much.  It kind of looks like Little Shop of Horrors re-imagined as an extra-terrestrial quilting bee.  If only it were as cool as that sounds.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve known Steve Earle since his first album.  I bought “Transcendental Blues” a few years after it came out, as I worked on completing my collection at the time.

How It Stacks Up:  I have sixteen Steve Earle albums, but one is live and the other is all Townes Van Zandt remakes.  Both are great, but I don’t include them in the rankings.  Of those I do include, I’ve got to reluctantly put “Transcendental Blues” last, or 14th.

Rating:  3 stars

If after eleven previous reviews there were any doubt how much I like Steve Earle, giving my least favourite album three stars should put those doubts to rest.

After dabbling heavily with bluegrass on 1999’s “The Mountain,” “Transcendental Blues” comes back to the more traditional late-period Steve Earle sound of roots rock and country.  The songs here mix in electric neo-Copperhead Road guitar with the gentler “I’m sober now” sound that Earle has brilliantly discovered in the last ten years of his career.

Standouts include the title track, which finds Earle once again in his comfort zone, crooning a highway song, musing:

“Back roads never carry you where you want ‘em to
They leave you standin’ there with them ol’ transcendental blues.”

The song shows Steve in transition from the hungry days of his early records, but not yet crossed over into the angry, frustrated songs of 2002’s “Jerusalem.”  It is a nice balance of spirit, and the record is aptly named.  Also, while not listed in the liner notes, I’m sure I hear a bodhran playing low early in the title track.  I’m a sucker for the bodhran.

Unfortunately, at times it feels like this record is straddling too many worlds at the same time.  His heavy, reverb rock sound is present here, but it isn’t as fully developed as it is on “Jerusalem.”  In places it just sounds like an annoying drone that is distracting from otherwise great songs.  He tries adding classical strings to songs like “The Boy Who Never Cried” but while it’s ambitious it doesn’t quite come together.  Also, as much as I’d like to approach Transcendental Blues” on its own terms, I can’t help but note that it pales in comparison to the record comes after it.  It made me want to go put “Jerusalem” on and listen to it instead.

The record also breaks the fourteen song limit.  True, it is only one song over and with many of them short the record doesn’t drag or make me fidgety waiting for it to end.  Nevertheless, it is a bit uneven, and I think leaving two or three tracks on the studio floor would’ve improved the overall quality.  It also would’ve helped make individual tracks stand out.  Apart from “Galway Girl” the record is solid but lacks the peaks and valleys that help set each song apart from the other.

Earle also breaks the “production out-takes” rule, putting pointless comments at the ends or beginnings of songs.  It is supposed to give the record a relaxed feel, but instead make it sound unedited.  You’re a brilliant songwriter, Steve, but I came for the show, not to poke around behind the curtain.

These are minor quibbles, mind you.  We are talking about Steve Earle, after all, and the man’s genius will quickly make you forget any small problems as he delivers each song with a full emotional commitment to every single track.

Standouts include the aforementioned “Galway Girl”, a brilliant re-imagining of how Celtic folk music would sound, if it had been written by Texans.  It’s a classic that still survives into set lists on current tours, and I’m always glad to hear it come on.  Also it features a bodhran and a tin whistle.  An embarrassment of riches

Galway Girl’s” jumpy, free-spirited roll is perfectly followed up with “Lonelier Than This,” featuring no bodhran, and no whistle; just Steve Earle’s voice, drenched with emotion, first with a somber acoustic guitar, and then a little light percussion and electric guitar played high to add a little wistful to the sad because – you know – they go well together.

The final two tracks are the raucous and rebellious “All My Life”, followed immediately by the broken confessional, “Over Yonder (Johnathan’s Song).”  “Over Yonder” tells the tale of a death-row inmate heading for his execution, at peace with where he thinks he’s going.  It isn’t as powerful as other Earle tracks on the same subject (“Billy Austin” from 1990’s “The Hard Way” or “Ellis Unit One” from 2002’s “Sidetracks”) but it is pretty good, and as ever Earle once again shows us the humanity in those that many would just as soon conveniently forget.

Yes the record is a bit long, and the production falters in places, but by the end of it I couldn’t deny Steve Earle had once again demonstrated why he is – and always will be – an artist that moves and inspires me every time I hear him.

Best tracks:  Transcendental Blues, Steve’s Last Ramble, The Galway Girl, Lonelier Than This, Over Yonder (Johnathan’s Song)

No comments: