Monday, June 11, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 406: Alice Cooper


For those wondering why there has been such a slowdown in album reviews, I took last week off from walking to and from work.  Also, I recently got a whole bunch of new music that took up my listening time.  When I did have time to write, I worked on my next novel (and got two chapters drafted, than you very much).  Add it all up and there wasn’t much time for the CD Odyssey.

Today was my first day back at work, and it seems as fitting a time as any to get back onto these music reviews.  We restart the experience with the second album in a row from that great year in music, 1972.

Disc 406 is…School’s Out
Artist: Alice Cooper

Year of Release: 1972

What’s Up With The Cover?:  It is designed to look like the top of a desk, with the initials or partial names of all the band members carved into it.  I’ve never liked this album cover as much as I should.  It is just OK.  It kind of reminds me of “Beggar’s Banquet” in how it makes me feel grimy.  It also reminds me of all those ancient school desks you use in school, so old they still had the hole for the inkwell decades after the advent of the ballpoint pen.

How I Came To Know It: Regular readers will know that I am a massive Alice Cooper fan.  School’s Out is a classic Alice Cooper album, so it is no surprise I own this album.  I’m one of the few of my generation (b. 1970) that heard the title track first on vinyl, rather than on the Muppet Show (although I enjoyed both experiences).

How It Stacks Up:  I have twenty-six Alice Cooper albums.  “School’s Out” is pretty strong, and comes out solidly in the band’s golden age, but competition is tough at the top, so I’ll say 9th overall.

Rating: 4 stars.

The title track of “School’s Out” starts with one of the most recognizable guitar riffs in rock music, but sadly that is where most people’s knowledge of this album end.  The fact that the other songs range through psychedelic proto-prog to jazz saxophone, classical piano and violin, funky horn sections and strange homages to a Broadway musical is largely forgotten.  Thankfully, I’m here to remedy that.

Off the top, it bears noting that in 1972 we are being treated to Alice Cooper ‘the band’ rather than Alice Cooper ‘the guy’.  While Alice Cooper ‘the guy’ has some classic records after the breakup of the original band, he never matches the creative output of the five classic albums put out between 1971 and 1973.  “School’s Out” falls right in the middle of that period.

Michael Bruce’s skanky, inappropriately delightful guitar is particularly welcome on the title track and “Public Animal #9” and the opening bassline laid down by Dennis Dunaway practically makes “Blue Turk” the bluesy creepfest that it evolves into.  These are fine songs (but more on them later).

First, a quick note on the album overall, which has a loosely themed collection of songs about high school and its many perils.  It isn’t a concept album as such, but it comes close, with the vast majority of songs relating in some way to education, and how little of it those darn kids seem to be getting (Cooper was always a stealth moralist, even at his most troubling).

Gutter Cat Vs. The Jets” is actually an homage to West Side Story, even to the point of including a large chunk of “When You’re a Jet” re-imagined in Alice Cooper Vaudevillian devil-rock style.  The musical track that ends the record, “Grande Finale” also briefly includes a portion of “When You’re a Jet” but I don’t know if there are other tracks references from West Side Story elsewhere.  I don’t want to know either.  I can’t stand West Side Story, and it is a tribute to Alice Cooper’s bent re-imagining of it that they can make it enjoyable for me to listen to.

“School’s Out” would’ve been interesting enough right here, but the band is not finished yet pushing their musical limits.

My Stars” sounds like a pop song that dropped out of high school and went and got high on LSD with Timothy Leary.    The track features classical piano, paired beautifully with rock guitar while it straddles the line between psychedelic sixties rock and progressive time signature changes.

The previously noted “Blue Turk” and “Public Animal #9” are both songs founded on an R&B base, and jazzed up with acid rock and, well, jazz.  They’re also two of my favourite tracks lyrically speaking.  “Blue Turk” evokes an encounter with the undead in its chorus:

“You’re so very picturesque
You’re so very cold
Tastes like roses on your breath
But graveyards on your soul.”

Public Animal #9” starts with a series of unrepentant confessions from a couple of playground delinquents:

“Me and G.B. we ain’t ever gonna confess
We cheated at the math test
We carved some dirty words in our desk
Well now it’s time for recess.”

The song ends with these two misfit dropouts ending up in jail.  “Public Animal #9” is so delinquent that as the song reaches its climax, Cooper’s vocals slowly morph into little more than primal shrieks and screams that somehow still carry the melody of the song.  Kind of like Kurt Cobain, only triumphant rather than depressed.

It seems natural to end this review with a return to the title track, which has become the signature song for delinquents throughout the English speaking world, and an anthem through multiple generations bidding a less than fond farewell to the high school experience.  I remember playing this song the weekend I graduated, and I felt like I was tapping into the collective consciousness of millions of teenagers that came before me when I did it.  I like to imagine that millions more came after me doing the same.

The best lines come near the end, and are missed by a lot of people who just know the chorus.  They are the final verse, and sum up the irreverent humour that Cooper can deliver with tongue planted firmly in cheek.  A gifted lyricist, Cooper finds the best way to make an anti-establishment song about high school end:

“Well we got no class
And we got no principals
And we got no innocence
We can’t even think up a word that rhymes.”

Of course he can, but the deliberate and carefully placed wrongness of it all is the perfect example of why this album is so right.

Best tracks: School’s Out, Blue Turk, My Stars, Public Animal #9, Grande Finale.

No comments: