Saturday, July 9, 2011

Figurine: Elf Lord on Dragon

Unbelievably, I finally finished painting another figurine - the first since September 25th of last year. Yikes!

In my defence, this one was a very large and involved piece, and took a lot of work. It think it all turned out alright, though.

It is a Warhammer figure - a High Elf Lord on Dragon. When I do a big, involved figure like this, I like to build a diorama around it, which adds to the work, but does a much better showcasing of the piece when it is finished.

I went with blue for the dragon - I wanted the whole effect to have a windswept, cliff-face kind of feel, so I modelled all the trees to look like they had been slowly shaped by the wind as they grew.

I worked hard to give the dragon an organic feel - I like the way dragon's head came out, especially the tongue: The base has a bunch of model rocks which I painted to match the rocky crag the dragon stands on. Then I added some tufts of fake grass. Ideally, you want the figurine part and the added diorama part to flow seemlessly together, so the eye can't tell where one ends, and the other begins.

The elf lord himself is very regal, and is carrying a very long pennant. I painted it with a flaming comet - World of Greyhawk geeks will know why, but let's say no more about that, except it was fun to paint a flaming comet. This next picture shows the front of the pennant, as well as showcasing the spines on the dragon's back, which I wanted to have a translucent bone quality:
And so, now I can return to painting less ambitious projects - this one took a lot out of me and I'm looking forward to some simpler stuff for a bit now.

Until then, here's a parting shot of the elf lord, preparing to launch off its perch in the fading sunlight:


Today I also reviewed a Gordon Lightfoot album - so if you come here for the music, scroll down to read that. It was a good record, but does not feature any dragons.

No comments: