Friday, July 22, 2011

CD Odyssey: The First 300

Earlier this week, I hit 300 reviews, and as is traditional at this time, I'm posting a quick entry to take stock.

Earlier this month I also passed the second anniversary of starting the CD Odyssey. It has been a lot more fun this time, and more memorable thanks to putting some of my impressions down in print along the way.

As I noted in my 200 review summary, after a suitable sample size, percentages tend to hold even, and it becomes increasingly easy to predict final tallies. That being the case, I won't keep a running tally of all the various entries I've done before.

I will note that in terms of what decade most of my music is from, the battle remains too close to call (this can drive a politician crazy on election night, but it's fun for the purposes of the CD Odyssey). The standings at present are:

Seventies: 67
Eighties: 74
Nineties: 76
Oughts: 73

The nineties were ahead after 200 as well, but the gap has closed considerably, and I have no idea which decade will end up on top (although the seventies looks destined for 4th).

Alice Cooper and Tom Waits have seen the most reviews so far, with 9, and Queen is close behind with 8 (Queen led after 200). There is a logjam of acts with 6 albums reviewed, including Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, Rush, Kiss, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. That is one kick ass logjam of musicians, methinks.

Five star reviews have increased slightly, and are now roughly one in every 9.5 reviews, which I think is a bit high. Still, when I look at the list of those that have recieved a 5 in the past 100 reviews I can't argue:

The Who - Who's Next
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother The Mountain
Dire Straits - Making Movies
The Clash - London Calling
Judas Priest - British Steel
Rush - Permanent Waves
Beethoven - Symphonies Nos 2 & 5
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Stan Rogers - Northwest Passage

In that same period, two discs managed to get the much less desireable 1 star - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, and Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. I hated listening to these albums, but writing the reviews was devilish good fun.

At 300 discs, I think I'm roughly a third done, so it would seem I've got four more years of this - I wonder if blogging will have gone the way of myspace by that point? Or maybe CDs will be archaic technology by then, and I'll be having a problem getting my players serviced?

No comments: