Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Figurine: Baby Dragon and Ibis

It took months to finish the elf lord on war dragon I recently posted, but it took only a few hours to finish the extra pieces that came with the box.

Often with larger Warhammer miniatures, they include a couple of smaller figures. They are usually light on detail, and I suspect it is just cheaper for them to stamp out a sheet with them on it, than to customize for each box. As a result, you often get these little extras. Sometimes I save them for other set pieces, but this time I decided to paint them as stand alones.

First up was a very tiny blue dragon. Here it is, in all its baby glory:
And here from the back:


For some reason, Warhammer also gave me the figure of a bird, which was even more of an odd match. I did some research online and the closest bird I could find matching the figure's general profile was the ibis, so I painted it as one:
And again, from the rear. You can see in these close ups the relative lack of detail, but I did my best with highlighting and shading to put some value into these pretty basic figs.
Both of these are very small, measuring no higher than half an inch.

Next up - a dryad! I'm looking forward to that one, but I doubt it will be finished so quickly.

No comments: