Thursday, October 28, 2010

CD Odyssey: The First 200

It seems like only yesterday I started this thing, and here I am at the 200 disc summary milestone. This blog has rekindled my love of writing and I thank all of you for your encouragement - whether you've posted a comment, or just told me about something you liked in person.

I think I'll stick as close to possible as my review of the first 100 and see how that goes.

The musical spread is still pretty even over the four decades I've been alive. 100 discs ago, the eighties had a slim lead, but the nineties have made a strong showing and moved up the list. I just reviewed my first disc of the 2010s as well! Scroll down to read it - it should be just below this summary if this thing works the way it is supposed to. Anyway, here are the numbers frozen in time for posterity:

Seventies: 44
Eighties: 48
Nineties: 54
Oughts: 50

As before, with some soundtracks and best ofs straddling a decade, there may be some overlap.

In terms of ratings, here is where they stand now.

5/5: 19 albums
4/5: 65 albums
3/5: 63 albums
2/5: 37 albums
1/5: 3 albums
best of (not rateable): 13 albums

I'm still averaging one in ten albums at 5/5. There is a couple that I'd probably take down to 4/5 (like the Wailin' Jennys and Mark Knopfler's "Sailing To Philadelphia", but I'm sticking with my reaction at the time. Besides, it makes me more judicious knowing I can't change my mind later.

Last time around 2 albums had been sold as a result of low reviews, but I found some real crap this time - and actually had occasion to use the 1/5 rating 3 times this time around. Sadly, due to 'domestic considerations', I was only able to sell one of them (Elvis Costello). The other two continue to lurk on the CD racks, ready to strike at any moment from the darkness.

Overall, of the last 100 records, I've sold four more - Gordon Lightfoot's "Gord's Gold Vol II", Elvis Costello's "The Juliet Letters", Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain" and Stan Rogers' "Turnaround". If you want to know why, read the reviews.

The Dice Gods continue to favour certain artists. Last time it was Kiss and Queen on top.

Queen still reigns with seven, but has some company with Tom Waits having had seven reviews of his own. Close behind is Alice Cooper with six.

Also noteable, Townes Van Zandt, Judas Priest, (the aforementioned) Kiss, Cypress Hill, Mark Knopfler and Rush all have four reviews.

And thanks for asking - still no Blue Oyster Cult. Maybe the dice are punishing me for complaining back at Disc 100. I choose to believe otherwise - obviously.

In terms of genre, Rock and Folk still dominate, which I don't see changing. Here's the top five after 100:

Rock: 73 albums
Folk: 56 albums
Pop: 37 albums
Metal: 20 albums
Country: 17 albums

Exact same order, and practically the same division as 100 records ago. If you're wondering how polls predict things, ladies and gentlemen - there you are.

Well - I now return you to regularly scheduled programming. I shall return with Disc 201, and we'll keep plugging away and do this thing.

1 comment:

Joel C said...

I have really enjoyed reading your reviews. Your humour and insight, coupled with your skill as a writer, not only make the articles fun to read, but informative too. Bring on the next hundred!