Tuesday, October 26, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 199: Chris Isaak

Queen's "News of the World" was a tough act to follow, but the Odyssey pauses for neither man nor disc. This time it picked another one of those albums I don't put on often, but am always pleasantly surprised when I hear it.

Disc 199 is...San Francisco Days
Artist: Chris Isaak

Year of Release: 1993

What’s Up With The Cover?: I think this is suppose to hearken back to old record covers from the fifties or sixties - all the way down to the listing of the songs on the front, rather than the back. Unfortunately, I don't really like the look of those old records, and I don't like the look of this one either.

How I Came To Know It: I used to own Chris Isaak's monster 1989 album "Heart Shaped World" but along the way I must have sold, likely when facing tough times and an empty beer fridge. I never bothered to rebuy it, but I remember liking his voice, so when I saw "San Francisco Days" in a clearance bin about five or six years ago for only $5.95 I thought, 'how bad can it be' and bought it.

How It Stacks Up: "San Francisco Days" is the only album I have by Isaak right now. Looking back into the depths of my musical memory, I recall "Heart Shaped World" didn't have much beyond the monster hit "Wicked Game", whereas "San Francisco Days" has more to offer over all.

Rating: 3 stars.

Chris Isaak is one of those artists I admire, but never really get into. His sound is a sort of mix of rockabilly, new country and pop. In a way, he is the natural inheritor of Elvis Presley's sound. He also reminds me a bit of a poor man's Blue Rodeo.

The lyrics don't match the abilities of that band, but his voice makes even fairly ordinary stuff sound amazing. It is a high trilling voice that is at odds with rugged good looks that make you think you're about to get an earthy and low sound. Instead, you get a high tenor that warbles effortlessly in and out of falsetto, never losing power. He's like an opera singer in workboots.

There are a few standouts on this album, including "Two Hearts" (which I think might've received minor radio play in the day), "Except the New Girl" and my favourite song "Waiting". "Waiting" is a slow, mournful song with a tune that makes you think of Patsy Cline, with a big echoing guitar sound, and Isaak's signature voice telling a simple tale of heartache and love lost. It is a song that is close to perfect, and it is almost guaranteed to make you think of the last time your heart was broken - whenever that was.

Speaking of songs about broken hearts, "Solitary Man," a remake of the Neil Diamond song is also noteable. I have this song done by Isaak, Johnny Cash and the original Neil Diamond. They are all good in their own way (OK - the Johnny Cash one is merely average) but of all of them, I'd take the Isaak version on this album by a nose over the Neil Diamond original.

The rest of the record isn't as good, but it is never truly bad. Also, it features some exceptional guitar playing, mostly in a country blues style. I don't know if this is mostly Chris Isaak or a guy named James Calvin Wilsey, since they are both listed as 'guitar' in the liner notes. Whoever it is (or whatever combination is used) I found it a pleasant surprise on this listen. Chris Isaak's voice is powerful, and strong musicianship on the other instruments is needed if only to balance it off. "San Francisco Days" delivers.

This album has moments of excellence, but overall it is too inconsistent for me to go above three stars. Still, I enjoyed getting reacquainted and I hope I remember to put it on more often in future.

Best tracks: Beautiful Homes, Two Hearts, Except the New Girl, Waiting, Solitary Man

No comments: