Saturday, October 23, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 198: Queen

Tom Waits' reign of most discs reviewed at seven didn't last long, as an Odyssey favourite came back for more.

This time, it is one of my favourite albums of all time - and here it is!

Disc 198 is...News of the World
Artist: Queen

Year of Release: 1977

What’s Up With The Cover?: It would appear that a giant steel robot has slain the entire band - that would indeed be world news if it happened. My favourite part of this album art is the robot's face, which has an expression of profound sadness - as though he didn't know how fragile the human body was until it was too late.

How I Came To Know It: I have listened to Queen since my early childhood, as I've noted in previous reviews. This particular album was an early recommendation of my buddy and Queen expert Spence back in the mid-nineties, when I asked him what some of the best albums were to pick up. Of course, he rattled off about four or five more, but this was the first one he said that day.

How It Stacks Up: I have fourteen Queen albums - I'm still missing the elusive "Made In Heaven". While "News of the World" is not usually thought of as the greatest Queen album, for me it is. This is my all-time favourite Queen album, so #1.

Rating: 5 stars

"News of the World" is Queen's sixth studio album, coming right after "Day at the Races" and just before "Jazz", which I reviewed back at Disc 80. It has everything you would expect in a great Queen record; Freddie's theatrics and amazing voice, Brian May's guitar, and John Deacon and Roger Taylor selflessly laying down the groove in the background.

This album for me is Queen at the zenith of their talent. Many years ago I did a mixed CD called "Top Ten Guitar Gods" - Brian May came in 3rd, and I went looking for two songs that exemplified his talents. Both songs I chose - "Who Needs You" and "It's Late" are from this album. "It's Late" is May at his bombastic riff riding best - years later it remains my favourite Queen song. At the other end of the spectrum, "Who Needs You" is a whimsical little number that shows May's softer side (John Deacon wrote the song, and joins May to also play guitar on this song).

The hit from this record is actually two songs released together, which have become the iconic voice of Queen on every radio station and in every football stadium across the land for the past 33 years - "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions". I'd heard these songs so many times over the years, that I expected them to be an afterthought, but the powerful guitar solo on "We Will Rock You" grabs you by the balls every time you hear it. If it doesn't grab you, then you aren't listening. Turn it up and listen again, monkey!

As for the companion piece, one day my long suffering Miami Dolphins will win the Superbowl. When that day comes, "We Are the Champions" will be the first thing that hits my stereo - apologies in advance to my neighbours.

"Fight From the Inside" has one of the best rock grooves ever written, "My Melancholy Blues" has some of the best vocals you will ever hear. No one can do it like Freddie Mercury. The killer tracks just keep coming without pause.

If I had one minor quibble, it would be the bizarre 'close encounters' synth solo midway through "Get Down, Make Love". Even that can't ruin the song, which is one of the sexiest, most explicit sex tracks ever laid down in vinyl.

Speaking of vinyl, I enjoyed this album so much the last couple of days that today I went and bought it on re-issued vinyl. I can't wait to put it on tonight and hear it the way Queen intended.

"News of the World" is as close to perfect as a record gets. If I had the power I'd transform all those "best of" Queen compilations polluting record collections across this country and replace them with "News of the World" - it is the place to start.

Best tracks: All tracks

No comments: