Wednesday, June 30, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 146: Scissor Sisters

This next disc answers one of the great 'what ifs' of our generation. What if disco never died? The answer is here...

Disc 146 is...Ta Dah
Artist: Scissor Sisters

Year of Release: 2006

What’s Up With The Cover?: A man removes his mask to show something that shocks everyone in the elevator of his building. We are left out of the joke, which I think is the joke. I must assume when he takes his mask of he declares, "Ta Dah!" - you know, the album's title.

How I Came To Know It: I saw a video for "Filthy/Gorgeous" a song off of the previous Scissor Sister's album. I bought that album and liked it, so when I saw a video for "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" off of "Ta Dah!" I liked it as well, so I bought that too.

How It Stacks Up: I only have the two Scissor Sister albums. I think "Ta Dah" is the weaker of the two.

Rating: 2 stars.

Scissor Sisters is a band about having fun. The music is basically a disco dance party. Attempts to read too much into this music is a mistake. It is fun, summery and carefree.

They are best when they get their disco freak on. When they try to be more interesting in some tracks, it actually becomes less interesting.

Songs about social issues - maybe there are some on this album, but they aren't interesting enough to stand out. The best they can muster and still be entertaining is the anthemic "Everybody Wants The Same Thing", which is basically a song about staying positive, and realizing we're all in this crazy life together.

A song about being inspired by Paul McCartney (titled "Paul McCartney")? Yes, there is one, but knowing that these guys are in the Beatles side of the Beatles/Stones debate, and the Paul side of the Paul/John debate is hardly a revelation when you hear their music.

Songs about love? Um...yes, there are some, but still a little too complicated a topic for this music. "Ta Dah"'s pop songs about love are just average on this record.

Where this band excels is in laying down disco grooves. The best songs are the appropriately titled "Ooh" which is a song about dancing away your troubles and a song called "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" which is actually a song that makes you feel like dancing. In fact the latter track is one of the better dance tracks I've heard. If you cheered when they blew up that box of disco records back in the seventies, this song might make you feel a little guilty for doing so.

If you don't like to dance, then this stuff is not for you (also, I pity you - dancing is fun). As for me, I love dancing, so this is fine with me. This album isn't going to bring about world peace, but it is going to make you want to dance around and have fun - and sometimes that's good enough.

Best tracks: I Don't Feel Like Dancing, Lights, Ooh, Everybody Wants the Same Thing

No comments: