Friday, June 18, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 140: Dixie Chicks

I've had a pretty good run of music lately. It is almost like this collection I'm going through was personally chosen by me!

Disc 140 is...Home
Artist: Dixie Chicks

Year of Release: 2002

What’s Up With The Cover?: The three members of the Dixie Chicks stand on a prairie road, looking smokin' hot. They're wearing quite a bit of eye make up for country girls - and I like it.

How I Came To Know It: I saw a video on CMT many years ago for a song called "I Can Love You Better" and really liked it, so I bought their debut album (not this one). "Home" was once again me seeing a video on CMT (this time for "Long Time Gone"). I held off, but when I heard their remake of "Landslide" I bought it (I've yet to buy a Dixie Chicks album for just one song, since I'm leery of anything that comes out of Nashville these days).

How It Stacks Up: I have two Dixie Chicks albums, this one and their debut, "Wide Open Spaces". I think this one is the stronger of the two.

Rating: 4 stars.

I'm always slightly embarassed when I go to buy a Dixie Chicks album. I mean, they have that pop quality to their country, courtesy of Natalie Maines' rock n' roll chops. Also, will people think I bought it because I think they're hot, rather than for the music? Will those people be a tiny bit right?

If it were really true I'd readily admit to it, but the truth is, those factors discourage me more than encourage me, and while I want their other albums, I haven't had the cajones to buy them and defend me choice at the record store counter.

Every listen to "Home" reminds me how stupid all these egotistical considerations are. The Dixie Chicks are incredibly talented country musicians. They don't write all their songs, but the ones they do write are good, and the ones they don't are well chosen.

Also, these women can really play. And anyone who challenges that is frankly spending too much time staring at the cover and not enough time listening. Any song would prove it, but "Home"'s lone instrumental, "Lil' Jack Slade" will really drive the point home. Emily is a maestro on the banjo - more amazing because I believe the story is that she picked it up because sister Martie already played the fiddle.

And can Martie ever play the fiddle. I've listened to my share of fiddle music - irish folk, scottish folk, cape breton folk, bluegrass and others (and yes, they are all different). Martie is not just competent, she makes you feel the music, and that is the difference between a competent fiddle and a brilliant fiddle. It is all in the heart, and these girls have the heart.

"Home" is them getting back to their more bluegrass and country roots after a slow move toward pop on their first two releases. The natural concern is that amazing rock voice of Natalie Maines isn't going to suit the music, but actually it gives it an updated and refreshing quality to songs that otherwise have a very old feel.

Speaking of which, while listening to this album, you may be tempted to check and see if they are singing old standards, but they are in fact brand new songs. When songs sound timeless, that is a good thing. It means they are going to last.

There are a couple tracks that don't grab me, like "Godspeed" which I'm pretty sure is a song about one of the Chicks' kids, and "White Trash Wedding" which has a bit of a novelty air about it. That said, even these songs are well constructed, and well performed.

Standouts on this album are numerous, but I like the way the disc starts with "Long Time Gone" which is a song about getting back to your roots - a thematic introduction to the album to follow. They even take a gentle poke at Nashville's new country scene (and deservedly so):

"We listen to the radio to hear what's cookin'
But the must ain't got no soul
Now they sound tired, but they don't sound Haggard
They got money but they don't have Cash
They got Junior but they don't have Hank
I think, I think, I think."


Take that Hank Williams Jr. and in case you weren't sure - yes, you suck.

I'm also really taken with "Travelin' Soldier" the story of a Vietnam vet who befriends a girl before he ships out, and writes her faithfully until he is killed on duty. This song always chokes me up. The story is simple, but it is presented with an emotional honesty, and is a beautifully crafted tale of tragedy.

"More Love" is always touching for me as well. It reminds me of Wailin' Jennys' "One Voice" with an idealistic message that makes you think anything is possible. Even if 'more love' isn't just around the corner, we need songs like this that keep the destination on the roadmap, giving us an emotional belief that we can grow as a species. While these kind of songs can get schmaltzy in a hurry - "More Love" never does.

"Top Of The World" is a song that captures the quiet despair in so many blue collar homes - I think (it's not entirely clear). I'd quote it, but without Natalie's magic voice, it wouldn't have the resonance so I'll just say - listen to it.

Listening to this album reminded me how misunderstood the Dixie Chicks have been through most of their career. For years they were perceived as pretty pop-country princesses. Totally untrue - they are artists who do what they want, and it has happened to be popular with fans. They cross genres when the feel like it, and they do it effortlessly.

They are a talented group of musicians with a lot of important things to say, and although it was painful for them, I'm glad people now see them for who they are, and not who they wanted them to be.

Best tracks: Long Time Gone, Travelin' Soldier, Truth No. 2, More Love, Lil' Jack Slade, Top Of The World

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I need to upload more of their songs - I always enjoy them when I hear them.

Oh, and I can buy their albums on your behalf if you want, heh.