Sunday, March 14, 2010

Figurine: Lord of the End Times

I finally finished painting another figurine. This one took a lot more time than I expected. Because of the way he was constructed, I had to paint him in six different pieces. Usually having it all glued together first makes it a lot easier to both hold on to and to paint.

Because I couldn't do that here, there was a lot of touch ups and frustration before I was finished. Anyway - here he is:

This guy is a Warhammer figure called "Archaon, Lord of the End Times" which is a pretty over-the-top title. I'm sure in the Warhammer game he is some kind of bad-ass, but I wouldn't know - I don't play Warhammer, I just paint their figures.

Since this guy had an apocalyptic feel, I made his base look like it was streaming lava, or at least tried to. Here's another angle showing off the base a bit better:

You'll have noted by this point that his horse is not exactly normal (it has bone protrusions sticking out of it all over the place, for example). I went with this and painted it as a Nightmare, with hellish light in its eyes and mouth as well. You can see this a bit better in this "he's looking right at me!" close up:

Archaon has this great pose as he's bringing his horse around to attack. Check out his skull necklace - it isn't a necklace with a skull motif - it is a necklace made of skulls. Also, he has a chaos shield - of course that was a big selling feature for me.

And finally, the back, showing off his fur-shouldered cloak:
This guy turned out pretty much how I wanted him. Since we're not at the End of Times, I'm carrying on painting, and my next figure will be an elf bard with a guitar. Hopefully soon!

No comments: