Wednesday, March 3, 2010

CD Odyssey: The First 100

I started the CD Odyssey in earnest in July of 2009. With today's Stan Rogers review, I've officially reviewed my first 100 albums.

For posterity, I think it'll be fun to celebrate each such milestone along the way with a quick recap of where I'm at.

I've certainly learned that I like music spread pretty evenly over the last four decades. I've reviewed only one record with music from the forties and fifties (and one from the 19th century - thank you Tchaikovsky). I've done another six from the sixties. The rest breakdown as follows:

Seventies: 22
Eighties: 30
Nineties: 25
Oughts: 21

Due to soundtracks and best ofs, there is some crossover, so don't worry your pretty little head as to why the numbers don't add up.

In terms of ratings, here is where they stand now. I have gone back and removed double-tagging in the ratings, since really, that's just cheating. Pick a number and stick with it, Logan!

5/5: 10 albums
4/5: 34 albums
3/5: 29 albums
2/5: 20 albums
best of (not rateable): 7 albums

One in ten albums rating a 5/5 seems a bit high to me, but I guess this is my music, so I am going to like it more. Of the 20 albums that receive a 2/5, two of them have been sold (Primus and the Honeymoon In Vegas Soundtrack).

I've found that generally speaking, the dice have been pretty random, and no single section of the collection has been over-reviewed. That said, a few artists seem to be particularly popular with the Dice Gods:

Kiss and Queen lead the way with 4 albums each.

Close behind are Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Townes Van Zandt and Judas Priest with 3 each.

Shockingly, despite owning 15 Blue Oyster Cult albums, I've yet to roll a single one of them. Throw me a freakin' bone, here!

In terms of genre, it is thus far a battle between Rock and Folk. This is hardly surprising - I've fallen hard for both those temptresses over the years. Here's the top five after 100:

Rock: 36 albums
Folk: 32 albums
Pop: 14 albums
Metal: 11 albums
Country: 11 albums

Again, there is some crossover in genres, so once again, don't pop a blood vessel trying to make the numbers add up. They are for "illustrative purposes only".

I'm looking forward to the next 100 albums - what will be next? Bring me my dice and let's find out!

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Great summary! Could you pick a favourite album of the first 100?

Logan said...

Given that Leonard Cohen's "Various Positions" is in my Best...Albums...Ever sidebar, I think I'd have to go with that. However honourable mention to:
- Alice Cooper (From the Inside)
- Lucinda Williams (Debut)
- Steve Earle (I Feel Alright)
- Black Sabbath (Vol IV)

Joel C said...

Thank you for taking me on the journey. I have added several of the first 100 to my own collection...most recently Caress of Steel, DaDa and Lost in Space. I really enjoy your insight and enthusiasm.
Looking forward to the next 100!