Friday, June 26, 2009

Ready to Die Revisited

Given that my first post was more of a "get used to this whole blog experience" trip for me, I don't think I gave Notorious B.I.G.'s seminal album "Ready To Die" the credit it deserves. So ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, a curtain call for "Ready to Die"

Although my rap experience is limited, this is certainly one of the greatest rap albums I've ever heard.

You'll remember from my Green Day review the "law of vinyl" which is - when in doubt the album should fit on a record - 12 or 14 songs max. The key here is "when in doubt". "Ready to Die" is 19 tracks, and the only one I would lose would be the one that is basically Biggie getting his freak on with his girlfriend. Even this track is pretty awesome, although not music.

The second track is "Things Done Changed", and it captures all the angst of a generation lost to drug dealing and hopelessness - but that can still remember summer cook outs. Lines like "back in the days our parents used to take care of us/look at em now, they even fuckin' scared of us".

"Gimme the Loot", "Machine Gun Funk", and others like it tell the story of the street. What it is like to deal drugs and fear death around every corner - and they made a white boy from small town B.C. get a small taste of just what it is like. Taking a concept that is alien to your audience and making them own that experience emotionally - that is art, my friends - and Biggie nails it.

And anyone who can realistically make a love song out of something that has a chorus of 'me and my bitch' has got talent.

And did I mention the music - no I did not, but allow me to do so. It is some of the most incredible combination of sampling, scratching and downright funky beats I have have heard since Erik B and Rakim or Public Enemy.

The final track is "Just Playing (Dreams)", a hilarious rap as Biggie imagines all the famous women he would like to get with. It reminds me of that 'coffee table book' the dude in "Throw Momma From the Train" who writes "101 Women I'd Like To Pork". Well Track 19 is like that, except it is Biggie's list. Also, it is frickin' hilarious.

After all the death and poverty and the climbing out of the gutter over the first 18 tracks, you need the break - and "Ready to Die" delivers it. But not before you're ready.

In short - this album is killer. The only down side is when you've got it playing in your car too loud, everyone is gonna think you are some kind of Pretty Fly for a White Guy poser - and maybe you are. But feel no shame - the music is worth it.

Logan's rating: 5/5 - buy this album, or be a chump. In my first post I gave this album 4 stars. Who was that guy from a week ago? I don't even know him anymore...

2 comments:

z said...

First! (Besides Sheila)

Nice review Logan! You'll certainly win points with Alicia, she's a fan of Notorious B.I.G., although she's a bigger 2-Pac fan. I'm sure she'd have some recommendations for you in the rap/hip-hop department, she certainly introduced me to a musical world I hadn't explored since Run DMC and Public Enemy. Just off the top of my head, check out 'Ratatat - Remixes Vol. II.' The best hip-hop remixes out there, bar none, done by two skinny white boys from Brooklyn. There are a few Notorious B.I.G./Biggie Smalls remixes on the album, and I think you'd really enjoy some of the kickin' beats!

Sheila said...

Great entry! I will admit to enjoying this, but yeah, it's kind of embarassing to have this booming at a stoplight.