Saturday, May 29, 2021

CD Odyssey Disc 1478: Pearl Jam

What’s this, a second review in as many days? That’s right, Gentle Reader, I sat out on the deck this late spring afternoon and just listened to the end of this next album. I did this in part so I could move on from it as soon as possible.

Disc 1478 is…. Binaural

Artist: Pearl Jam

Year of Release: 2000

What’s up with the Cover? Some sort of eye reflection? Which is weird, because given the album title I was more expecting something to do with the ears.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve been a Pearl Jam fan for a long time. I missed this record when it first came out, but I eventually came back to it. Years ago I used to work with someone who absolutely loved both “No Code” and “Binaural” which also influenced me to round out the collection. She was a lovely person, but wrong in her affection for those two records. This is particularly true for “Binaural”. Keep reading to learn why.

How It Stacks Up: I have 12 Pearl Jam albums, which is pretty much all of them, I believe. Of those 12, “Binaural” comes in dead last.

  1. Yield: 5 stars (reviewed at Disc 464)
  2. Ten: 5 stars (reviewed at Disc 153)
  3. Vs.: 5 stars (reviewed at Disc 46)
  4. Riot Act: 4 stars (reviewed at Disc 1113)
  5. Lost Dogs: 4 stars (reviewed at Disc 109)
  6. Vitalogy: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 457)
  7. Lightning Bolt: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 972)
  8. Self-Titled: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 327)
  9. No Code: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 805)
  10. Gigaton: 3 stars (reviewed at Disc 1435)
  11. Backspacer: 2 stars (reviewed at Disc 45)
  12. Binaural: 2 stars (reviewed right here)

Ratings: 2 stars

Imagine if Vitalogy (Disc 457) had all of its weird and pointless experimentation like “Hey Foxymophandlemama, That’s Me” but none of the awesome tunes like “Nothingman” and you’ll have a good idea of what to expect with “Binaural.” This record bangs, crashes and thrashes about, but there isn’t much to show for all that effort by the end.

Sure it has that signature Pearl Jam groove, and the boys can play, but there isn’t much to hang your hat on. The songs blend one into another in a way that left me having a hard time separating one from the other when it ended. Even Eddie Vedder, who is usually a high point of any Pearl Jam record, is set back in the mix in a way that does little to show off one of rock and roll’s great voices.

It isn’t all bad. “Light Years” has an atmospheric appeal where Vedder utilizes his head voice to good effect and “Thin Air” has a lovely romantic croon. However, they aren’t so compelling that they draw my attention back to the record very often. When I do put it on, I quickly get fidgety and want to move on to something else – which is exactly what led me to this early review.

Balanced off against these songs you get things like “Rival,” which starts with the growls of an overexcited dog that made me feel uncomfortable but without purpose, followed by a lurching guitar lick.

Soon Forget” showcases the beginnings of Eddie Vedder’s obsession with the ukulele and it is OK, but if you want to hear his best work with that instrument you are better off listening to his 2011 solo album “Ukulele Songs” (Disc 1229) where that is all he does.

My experience is even more surprising given how the record is sandwiched between two of my favourite Pearl Jam records, 1998’s “Yield” (#1) and 2002’s “Riot Act” (#4). Those two records are both brilliant, but somehow the band lost the plot on “Binaural.” All the ingredients are there, but it doesn’t quite come together.

The album’s final song is “Parting Ways,” which rambles around for about four minutes but doesn’t end for another three. Most of that last bit is dead air, but the final thirty seconds features echoing typewriter keys that are clearly not typing anything important. It was a helpful experience though, because it strengthened my own resolve to part ways as well – with the record. I love Pearl Jam, and they’ve made some of my favourite rock records ever. Sadly, “Binaural” is not one of them.

Best tracks: Light Years, Thin Air

No comments: