Wednesday, May 5, 2021

CD Odyssey Disc 1471: Sepultura

I’m a bit worn down today after juggling the demands of work and home, and I’m really looking forward to (as Leonard Cohen puts it) “getting lost in that hopeless little screen.” But first, a review.

Disc 1471 is…. Roots

Artist: Sepultura

Year of Release: 1996

What’s up with the Cover?  An artist adds flourishes to a picture of a native Brazilian. Among other things, surrounding him with roots. This makes a lot of sense, given the album title.

I was surprised to find that this cover was drawn by artist Michael Whelan, who I know my youth. Whelan has done a ton of fantasy illustrations and book covers, mostly a lot more fanciful than this one. Anyway, as a kid I always used to marvel at Whelan’s art, so it was cool to cross paths with more of his art years later.

How I Came To Know It: I’ve known this album by reputation for years, but never went looking for it. A few years back my buddy Nick was really into it, and even brought some music over for a listen. I liked it, but once again, didn’t bite. Finally I was over at my friend Chris’ place, digging through his CD collection and it showed up again. Chris was parting with his collection, so I took it as a sign and finally made my move. Welcome to my home at last, Sepultura.

How It Stacks Up: This is my only Sepultura album, so it can’t stack up.

Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

Sepultura means “grave” in Portuguese. This implies something serious is going on, and listening to their music I am inclined to believe it. Sepultura rivals even fellow thrash metalheads Pantera with the intensity of their fury.

Of course, if you like this kind of music (which I do) fury is part of what you’re looking for. “Roots” is visceral and filled with power, inviting you to join in. These tunes are good for driving, working out, or just thrashing around a bit while you forget your cares. While the uninitiated may find the experience unsettling, metalheads know it is quite therapeutic if you let yourself sink inside. Once there, you can ride the crest of the churning guitar riffs and let it all out, or sink down underneath and let it wash over you. It is safe and controlled way to get all those yells out of you without the need to ever yell (although depending on the scene, a bit of yelling is OK. Like at the concert, or while high fiving a fellow devotee).

I am not a devotee of Sepultura by any means, but I liked “Roots” plenty. The album is famous for the band’s fusion of thrash and groove metal with traditional beats and flourishes of many different forms of Brazilian music (ancient and modern). The combination makes for a sonically intriguing record with a lot of gateways in, all depending on your own personal tastes. None of these additional musical inspirations detract from the pure fist-pumping power of the tracks, particularly “Straighthate” and “Endangered Species” which are master classes on how to inspire a mosh pit.

All those extra rhythmic options also provide a feast for drummer Igor Cavalera. Cavalera is a brilliant drummer in the Danny Carey style. He mixes in precision with a dull echoing sound that thuds so hard you feel bad for the kit. “Ratamahatta” has some of the record’s finest drumming, which even includes (I think) some hand drumming that adds to the song’s wild abandon.

I was going to give “Roots” 4 stars, until it subjected me to that bane of mid-nineties CDs…the hidden track. In this case we have a thirteen-minute monstrosity called “Canyon Jam.” It is filled with random thumps, crickets chirping and what may be someone banging a pipe with a spoon. Tool albums of the same period also do hidden tracks, but at least they tend to be creepy (serial killer observing people from afar), funny (hijinks while high on LSD) or both (the cries of carrots as they are eaten). “Canyon Jam” sounds like someone walking around in an abandoned warehouse (or maybe…a canyon) holding an open mic and recording whatever happens. Musica verité perhaps, but that don’t make it good.

Despite this one blemish, “Roots” is a fine wave to ride, and a welcome addition to my collection.

Best tracks: Attitude, Ratamahatta, Straighthate, Dusted, Endangered Species

No comments: