Friday, February 28, 2020

CD Odyssey Disc 1346: Daniel Romano


After a long week I’m looking forward to a relaxing weekend. Let’s get that started with a music review, shall we?

Disc 1346 is…If I’ve Only One Time Askin’
Artist: Dan Romano

Year of Release: 2015

What’s up with the Cover? Dan Romano has a cigarette. If I only had one time askin’, I would ask what’s out of frame that’s earned his side-eyed glance.

How I Came to Know It: I saw Romano open for Corb Lund a few years ago. I liked what I heard and that – coupled with a recommendation from a coworker – got me into his music. This particular purchase was just me digging through his collection.

How It Stacks Up: I have four Daniel Romano albums. I got rid of “Modern Pressure” after I reviewed it and “Finally Free” couldn’t hold my attention long enough for even that (more on that later). Of the four remaining albums, “If I’ve Only One Time Askin’” comes in at #2, edging out “Come Cry With Me” which had been occupying that spot.

Since this is the last of my Daniel Romano album to be reviewed, here’s the recap:

  1. Sleep Beneath the Willow: 5 stars (reviewed at Disc 1132)
  2. If I’ve Only One Time Askin’: 4 stars (reviewed right here)
  3. Come Cry With Me: 4 stars (reviewed at Disc 919)
  4. Mosey: 2 stars (reviewed at Disc 953)
  5. Modern Pressure: 2 stars (reviewed at Disc 1030)
Ratings: 4 stars

Daniel Romano is one of those artists who does what he wants with his sound. Audiences can follow along if they like, but Dan’s gonna do what Dan’s gonna do. It’s fitting that the last album Romano put out before he would go down some weird and (for me) not-so wonderful roads, would be a straightforward and traditional collection of old school country break-up songs.  Because after this record, he and I would part ways as well. At least it ended with a bang…

This record is an homage to seventies and eighties country crooners like George Jones and George Strait; filled with slow, mournful songs of lost loves and a whole lot of pedal steel.

I love that sound, and Romano breezily composes songs that could easily be slipped back in time forty or fifty years and fit right in. He writes in a timeless style, and while these melodies sound like something you’ve heard a thousand times before, you haven’t heard them quite like this.

Songs of that era relied heavily on a turn of phrase, and Romano is up to the task. On “Strange Faces” he sings:

“If I had a room to breathe in, if I had a burning fire
One would surely choke the other, leaving me the same desire.
There’s no bottle left half empty, there’s no sun can frame my door
If I sailed away forever, never would I find the shore.”

It is all very overblown, but that’s how this music works. Besides, just because it is hyperbolic doesn’t mean this isn’t some great imagery. Romano sells it with a partial nasal twang, where you can tell he’s channeling old school Nashville but can’t change the fact that he’s from Ontario. I like the mix and think it helps to create a modern tension to the traditional forms he’s exploring.

Most of all, Romano manages something he loses a bit on later records; he’s emotionally believable. This record is full of a whole lot of hurt and heartache, but it comes across as real. There are songs where he goes a bit too far with the melancholic metaphor - “If You Go Your Way (I’ll Go Blind)” being the worst offender – but for the most part you feel the sadness, and a general sense that you should put your hand over your heart and look skyward, or something.

While it is mostly pedal steel sadness, Romano also explores other styles from yesteryear, including some Gordon Lightfoot styled pattern picking on the title track, and more than a hint of Townes Van Zandt on “Strange Faces”.

The last minute or so of “The One That Got Away (Came Back Today)” is a harbinger of the ridiculousness that would come on future records, but on the other tracks Romano plays it straight up and the record feels more like an earnest homage to those that came before him, rather than a send-up.

I’ve been a bit cranky with Daniel Romano’s musical choices of late. I found 2017’s “Modern Pressure” weighed down by its own self-absorption and I disliked 2018’s “Finally Free” so much I decided to skip going to a show I already had tickets for. It’s fair to say Romano has moved on without me, leaving me to pine for the way things used to be…

Despite all that bad blood, “If I’ve Only…” won my heart back with all that heartache, and reminded me why I have five of this guy’s records. When he’s good, he’s very good.

Best tracks: Strange Faces, Old Fires Die, If I’ve Only One Time Askin’, There’s a Hardship, Learning to Do Without Me, Two Word Joe

No comments: