Wednesday, February 19, 2020

CD Odyssey Disc 1343: Eric Clapton


Welcome back to the CD Odyssey – let’s get this ship under sail, shall we?

Disc 1343 is…Slowhand
Artist: Eric Clapton

Year of Release: 1977

What’s up with the Cover? This cover really hits the G-spot. And you know what Clapton’s likely doing with his other hand, don’t you? Rhythmically strumming, that’s what.

How I Came to Know It: This is one of the oldest CDs in my collection. Back in the mists of time I used to have a Clapton greatest hits album on cassette. When I switched to CD, I decided to go investigate his studio albums. I searched out the ones with the best reputations, as well as the ones with songs I recognized from my greatest hits cassette. “Slowhand” was the right fit for both.

How It Stacks Up: I used to have two Eric Clapton albums, but after reviewing “461 Ocean Boulevard” back at Disc1096, I let it go. Consequently, “Slowhand” now stands alone, or #1 if you want to honour albums I’ve previously parted with.

Ratings: 5 stars

I’ve had an uneven relationship with Clapton over the years. For a while I was in love with his guitar playing, to the point where I’d spent my meagre savings trying to replace my greatest hits record with a bunch of studio albums (the meagerness in the equation tapped the process at three, of which only this one remains). In recent years, when I’ve had more dispensable income, he had become an afterthought in my burgeoning music collection. Enter the randomness of the CD Odyssey to remind me not to forget old friends like “Slowhand.”

When I reviewed “461 Ocean Boulevard” I noted its technical brilliance, but lack of thump. “Slowhand” solves that problem at Track 1, with one of rock’s greatest riff-driven tunes, “Cocaine.” The message is about as complicated as the average cokehead high on the stuff, but the song’s groove, and Clapton’s brilliance - dropping chunky riffs and sublime solos in equal measure – is what makes it great.

But “Slowhand” is a lot more than Clapton rocking out; it is a record with all kinds of range. “Cocaine” is followed up by “Wonderful Tonight” a romantic piece about a couple out for an evening together. The tone of Clapton’s guitar is without par on this track, as he demonstrates his nickname, playing a slow and touching love song. The thing I like most about this song is how Clapton mixes fervent romance with relaxed comfort. This is a song about a couple that have been in love for a long time, and that love has grown into a mellow gold with time.

Cocaine” is a JJ Cale cover, and “Wonderful Tonight” is a Clapton original. Together they show Clapton’s talent for picking the right songs to suit his voice (both vocal and guitar) and his ability to write classics that stand on par with the covers.

Next Time You See Her” is one of the great “jealous ex-boyfriend” songs of all time, with lyrics that say much but intimate even more:

“She's got everything a man could ever ask for
She is lovely, brighter than a morning star
She is so beautiful, portrait of a sunset
She got everything, including my old car

“Next time you see her, tell her that I love her
Next time you see her, tell her that I care
Next time you see her, tell her that I love her
Next time I see you, boy you'd better beware”

On the surface the narrator wants his ex’s new man to compliment her, but as the song progresses you realize he is threatening them both. It’s a creepy tune, packaged up in a pleasant little melody.

And on it goes, with crunch rock tracks like “Cocaine” and “The Core” sitting side by side with pastoral and dreamlike songs like “Wonderful Tonight” and “We’re All the Way.” Holding it altogether is a sublime production, warm through the middle range just like the vinyl of its time demanded. It sounds pretty good on CD too.

There are covers and originals, grit and flowers, and through it all there is Clapton’s guitar brilliance, playing every style – slow or fast – with an easy grace

In anticipation of reviewing this record I told a coworker that Clapton’s playing had faded for me over time but listening to “Slowhand” was a reminder of how wrong I was to suggest such a thing. This record is a masterpiece, demonstrating a quiet confidence that has lost nothing in the decades since its first release.

Best tracks: all tracks

No comments: