Monday, November 25, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1320: Amelia Curran


I’ve had a lovely weekend filled with great music. I even bought some new albums, including the new Leonard Cohen, the new Bonnie Prince Billy and an old record by Gene Clark. However, I’ll talk about those when I roll them.

As for this next record, I could have reviewed it over the weekend, but I was enjoying it so much I decided to give it one more day of listening time.

Disc 1320 is… They Promised You Mercy
Artist: Amelia Curran

Year of Release: 2014

What’s up with the Cover? It’s an old-timey portrait of Amelia Curran. She looks a bit pale here, like she’s either getting over the flu or maybe just spent a lot of time in the studio.

How I Came to Know It: I read a review of her 2017 album, “Watershed” (reviewed back at Disc 1226) that got me interested in her music. Then I drilled through her back catalogue, discovering “They Promised You Mercy” along the way.

How It Stacks Up:  Amelia Curran has eight studio albums but only “Watershed” and this one have thus far caught my attention sufficient to elicit a purchase. I’ve since parted ways with “Watershed” (on friendly terms). Even if it had not, “They Promised You Mercy” is easily my favourite.

Ratings: 4 stars but almost 5

It’s not easy to manage both catchy and emotionally resonant in a single record, but on “They Promised You Mercy” Amelia Curran does just that. This record makes you want to tap your toes and look wistfully out a rain-streaked window at the same time.

At its heart, with its basic melodies and unadorned beauty this record is folk music, but I was tempted to label it ‘pop’ because of how damned catchy it is. It was a hard decision because, as every critic knows, arbitrary labels are critical to musical enjoyment. Just kidding – it’s the other thing.

Great records transcend labels and leave you with a feeling that is bigger than any arbitrary categorization. I still labelled it though (folk, by the way) not because it is just the one thing, but because I’ve got all these damned search options down the right-hand side and I think people looking for folk will be glad to find it.

In the end the catchiness is not from the sugary beats of pop music though, but rather from basic variations on up tempo guitar strums and licks that belie the thoughtful lyrics underneath. Some of the guitar sounds like Steve Earle, so maybe I should’ve gone with country. Stupid labels.

On top of those simple guitar strums, Curran’s vocals shine plain as truth. She’s a strong singer with a thick and resonant tone, but she doesn’t show off with a bunch of vocal gymnastics and is content to ride the melody and sing the story. In doing this she avoids the common pitfall of so many vocalists that feel the need to warble or throw in runs which don’t serve the song.

Instead, she holds you with the clarity of inspired phrasing and crystal-clear enunciation. Fans of Brandi Carlile (now relatively famous) and Heather Maloney (not famous yet but damned well should be) will recognize a like spirit in Curran’s approach and delivery.

Like them, she sings as though she’s caught halfway between the power of a truth that needs to be testified, and the whisper of an insistent memory that rises unbidden and refuses to fade.

This can give you some great range of emotion weaved into all that basic guitar strummin’, from the rising desire of “Coming for You”:

“I’m coming for you like a final round
I’m coming for you like a tempted hound
I’m coming for you like fury and sound.”

To thoughtful contemplation when love and life deal us a little loss and uncertainty on “The Reverie”:

“Am I born, am I born
Of the vine or of the thorn?
Am I holding to the sky or to the storm?”

There is tension locked in both songs, but the first is from the exertion of will on the external world, and the second from that same will, twisted inward. Curran rides them both with a relaxed and understated power. There’s a lot going on in the depths, but she keeps moving, sometimes the swimmer, sometimes the water.

Regardless of what effect she’s going for, Curran’s power over language is exceptional. She doesn’t have to knock you flat with vocal prowess because she accomplishes even more with her poetic gift and a simple, well-timed delivery. The effect is like a good Italian meal – only two or three ingredients, but in exactly the right proportion.

In short, if you like to dine on contemporary folk music, you will be hard pressed to find better.

Best tracks: Somebody Somewhere, Coming for You, I Am the Night, Time Time, The Reverie, The Matador, Strike the Band, You’ve Changed

No comments: